About Me

Friday, October 6, 2017

How do you define a "NEED"?

I caught myself searching for a small Microwave Oven the other day. I thought I needed one. I quickly gave myself a shake and asked "In all of 50 years, you did not need one, use one; how come it is a need now?"

My logical self stepped in and took control and I gave up the search. I truly do not need a microwave. I heat my lunch at work and for dinners, I have been using the stove forever. I have small pots and pans that I use to heat up food.

The money I would have spent on a microwave is now working hard for me in my savings account. All is good!

Sometimes people say they need a new pair of shoes when they already have 20 pairs, they need a new TV set for a spare room, they need this or that which really are not needs.

If I said I needed a new pair of pants, that would not be true. I probably own less than most women but still, that would be a want.

All I need nowadays is groceries just for the weekend because, I have started getting the calorie controlled packages during the week again. I also started a new walking routine.

When I was in the US, for a couple of days I thought I NEEDED a Fitbit Charge 2. I have a much cheaper device which is working just fine and which actually does not require to be charged as frequently as a Fitbit. Thankfully, I came to my senses before I made that purchase.

I must constantly remind myself that I do not need a single item of clothing or shoes for the winter. I do not need gadgets or a new cell phone. I actually need a big "purge".

I only need a couple of mats for the entrance of my home and my kitchen at my primary residence but even those are not urgent needs. Also, I need a couple of "good"pillows.

I MUST not spend my money in an unwise manner. I should save as much as possible till the end of the year when the company is going to change hands. It is not 100% yet, but the likelihood of that happening is pretty high.




4 comments:

  1. Using a microwave saves quite a bit of electric that the stove uses. Plus, there is the water used to wash pots and pans that does not happen with a microwave. Heating a cup of water in the microwave for tea or coffee saves money.

    Sometimes, I "need" something until I come to my senses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have much counter space and I use a gas stove. The cost of the gas plus the water is minimal. I would not be able to recover the cost of the microwave for many years. For some, this may be a need but it truly isn't for me.

      Delete
  2. I've found myself doing that lately too....wanting something and then talking myself out of it because it's not a need. Usually it's something I see online like a cute jacket or a good deal on something or other. I don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm terrible with this, but I AM getting a bit better. It's that insidious feeling of 'lack' or 'sacrifice' that is really hard to tame, knowing that need=want in so many cases and therefore isn't a necessity. Will I literally die if I don't have that bar of choclate, or that new microwave (I'm with you, btw, with microwaves - I don't use them unless I absolutely have to, and don't own one), or that new book in that new series that I love? The answer, of course, is always 'no'. And that's okay. I'm currently feeling a bit flush as I have some funds in my savings account, but have my car MOT & service on Thursday and am entirely uncertain how that will go. She's not passed an MOT cleanly yet, but the outlay has been minimal so far. I'm considering a new(er) car as it's very nearly time.

    Anyway, I use a free app on my iPod Touch for walking - Pacer - and that works just fine for me. I found it before I made the FitBit purchase too! xx

    ReplyDelete