About Me

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Important Things Change Over Time

The other day I was thinking about my 30 year career and realized that, what was important to me back when I started work have changed very dramatically over the years.

When I was a Business Administration student, I used to think, I wanted a very well paying job and my focus was mostly money. As I started looking for a job, I have realized that the job itself was almost as important as money.

In my early years, I have come to the conclusion that, training, possibility to grow into different roles and moving up the hierarchy were important.

As I went up the hierarchy, I was more focused on work-life balance and pay-responsibility-authority balance. I have also started to pay attention to the people who were working for me, their growth both at work and as people, their well-being and their happiness.

When I became a consultant, I wanted to see good implementation of my guidance and when the customers had problems implementing change, I first became upset but then I have quickly realized that change must come from within. Someone in a particular organization must lead and sponsor the change. If that does not happen, no matter how good you are, you cannot be successful. So, a consultant sometimes has to shut up, deliver the work, get paid and not be upset about the outcome.

When I finally joined my current company as the second in command, I felt very responsible for work outcomes, the general day to day requirements, the happiness of the people and the contentment of my boss. I was being paid very well but that was not the sole reason that motivated me.

So, over the years I became more people oriented and my return on that investment is the outpour of love and respect from my team. That, I will not trade for anything.

2 comments:

  1. and that is why you have been so successful in your career!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like to think that it was a successful career. A lot of people would define success in a different manner but I am content with what I have achieved.

      Delete