About Me

Monday, July 16, 2018

Water

I have doubts about drinking tap water in this giant city with very questionable bureaucrats. So, I always get my water delivered and use that even for boiling spaghetti.

Whenever I am out and about and when I get thirsty, I grab a bottle of 0.5 lt bottle from any small place, gas station or even Starbucks.

Just recently it hit me how much I am spending on those small bottles.

Last time I was in Starbucks, I grabbed a bottle at 2.50 TL. What!? I get 19 lt. bottles from the guys who deliver my water for 12.50 TL. So, today I asked them whether they also deliver 0.5 lt. bottles. In fact they do. The 24 pack 0.5 lt. bottles cost 16 TL. I ordered my usual two big bottles and a 24 pack.

Then it hit me again that I could just fill up stainless steel water bottles at home and save even more. 2,5 TL vs 0.66 TL vs 0.33 TL!

I am sure I will forget to do this or grab a small bottle when leaving home but, that's OK. I know I will eventually get into the habit before I leave home.

May be I should just stick a note on the door that says "Water and resuable grocery bags!" to remind myself.


7 comments:

  1. I know I should use a refillable bottle, too. But, I keep a 24 pack of bottles in the trunk of the car. I have them in the house, too. But, there are always some in the trunk if I forget one. They don't get hot in the trunk even in torrid temps. Rarely is it cold enough to freeze them.

    They 24 packs of bottles of Dasani are $1.78 in grocery and $2 at gas station and the whole 24 pack is only $3.98. A stock boy can put it directly in the trunk, saving me the bother and pain.

    If you are wary of the water, do you brush your teeth with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think the water is "that" bad so, I do brush my teeth. I just do not like the idea of drinking it. Many people who cannot afford bottled water or who do not really care, drink it all the time.

      Delete
  2. We drink bottled water too. Plus I have to use bottled water in my Keurig or it gets clogged up. I buy the one gallon jugs for that. Well, we've been taking our dogs out to the property, where it's hot outside and we have no water there yet. I grabbed one of my gallon jugs. The next time I got smart. I saved the empty gallon jug and filled it up with tap water from home, for the dogs. They drink tap water and I don't need to be buying extra jugs for their water at the property! Hopefully we'll have water in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it going to be well water or city water? If it is well water, what type of filtering system will you use?

      Delete
    2. it will be well water. I'm not exactly sure what type of system. The plumber guy said to have Culligan come out and test it (twice) and then they would recommend what we will need to have. DH is taking care of that. We have city water here in town and it tastes weird to me. I don't like to drink it, but will use it in cooking/baking.

      Delete
  3. I bought myself a Brita-type filter jug for the office because the water, while drinkable, smells quite strongly of chlorine. Ick. So I'm pleased with my solution, as it also means I'm increasing my water intake every day, aiming for 2L. I drink tap water at home, as it's fine, just hard. I can't justify the plastic bottles anymore. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use Brita jugs when I lived in the US. That is a pretty good solution. They are sold in here too but, I am not sure if it helps in my case.

      Delete