About Me

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Home sweet and dirty home...

As I have guessed my uncle is not going to the doctor since he started taking the meds again. Go figure! We possibly cannot make a 61 year old man go to the doctor unless he wants to. So, whatever will be, will be... 

My apartment is a mess. The cleaning lady could not make it last week. Normally she would have shown up this week but she was busy again. She will come next week hopefully. However, I must set things in order, dust and vacuum no later than this Monday or else, I will drive myself crazy.

Tomorrow I will change my sheets dust and vacuum my bedroom, the spare bedrrom and do some laundry.

I went grocery shoping today and bought fresh fava beans (just like string beans) and some kale. The fresh beans were cooked in the pressure cooker the usual way. Sautee cubed onions, season to taste, add tomato paste or sauce, dump the veggies and cook. We, the Turks cook almost all vegetables and even meats like this. We do have a lot of other methods of cooking but this is the simplest. We serve veggies warm or cold. People cook with butter or margarine for warm dishes and olive oil for cold. I exclusively cook with EVOO.

I chopped the kale and sauteed it with lots of cubed onions. I will have both dishes with garlic yogurt sauce. I have 4 portions of veggies in the fridge now. I also have a portion of frozen stir-fried veggies for Friday. So, I am all set. I am supposed to have a veggie dish for lunch or dinner every day. The other meal is protein heavy. For protein, there are three portions of chicken breast, 4 portions of meat patties in the freezer. However, I intend to have chick peas for two meals this week. Protein does not need to be meat all the time.

Since, I have processed the veggies, I was able to clean the kitchen halfway thru. Tomorrow, I will take care of the rest. Right now, there is pot on the stove for veggie broth. I learnt that by reading American blogs. I don't think anybody else does that here in this country.

When I was working full time, the kitchen was never used this much. I am sure the dishwasher is shocked that it gets to work almost every day. I am not a big fan of handwashing the dishes you see.

Oh I purged some unused plates and some kitchen utensils along with some candle holders. Instead of doing one big cleanup, I get rid of things slowly as I come by them. Works for me.

Next few days the weather is expected to be real good again so, if I can get up early tomorrow, I will go to the shoreline to walk. If not, cleaning the apartment will be my exercise.






1 comment:

  1. I'm not very good about prepping food ahead of time, other than getting veggies washed and cut up and ready to go in the fridge. Cooking goes faster with that done and I snack on them too. I guess I do freeze leftovers sometimes and that's handy for a quick meal when I don't feel like cooking. I'm so envious of you being able to walk by the sea! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete