About Me

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Idiot Mobile Operator!

A while ago, I was contacted by my mobile operator about my contract being up today and they offered me the same package MINUS 5 GB of Internet at a small price bump. Why? Lesser package, higher price? Can anyone care to explain?

Anyway, I really do not need that much data and minutes so, I told them I no longer need that big expensive package and I would be content with a smaller one. They said that is the smallest package they can offer. As this conversation was going on I was looking at their website on my computer. There are smaller and much more interesting plans that they can offer for newcomers but not to current customers. Being a loyal customer is penalized. Really? So, I hung up without comitting to a new package.

I sent them an e-mail explaining the situation and asked for help. Two useless e-mails later, I decided to change my operator. This one is not better than the other by any means but at least, they treat me as a newcomer and I can get to choose a plan more to my liking. This is going to be a 1 year contract so, most likely, I will keep on going back and forth between operators to be able to use a plan I like. There is a third operator but I am not sure about their coverage. May be next time I am gonna try them.

Today I went to the nearest mall where there is this operator's rep office and got my new SIM card. In the next 5 days, my operator will be changed. It took me less than 10 minutes to process my request amd there!

I will be paying 35 TL instead of 96 monthly. The 96 TL plan has 15 GB of Internet, 2000 minutes and 2000 sms. I surely do not need that. When I was working full time and had a second apartment with no TV, it was a need (may be). Now, 3 GB of Internet and 500 minutes are more than enough.

What an idiotic wat to treat a customer...

8 comments:

  1. WOW. I have been reading your blog but don't always comment. Over here in Canada, we have the same issue. New customers are treated better than customers with long term plans. Also, we pay 3x what you'd pay for your old plan!!! I pay $85 Canadian, before tax for 10GB of data - but unlimited calls and texts. We too really only have three major providers, there are other small companies but they are owned by the major three :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JJ. It looks like, common sense is out, regardless of the country we live in. Isn't that amazing?

      Delete
    2. Amazing indeed, but then kinda sad too. They have tried to introduce competition here but it never works. Canada has some of the worst prices for mobile plans in the world.

      Delete
    3. To a certain extent, I can understand that. Your country is too big and infrastructure for good coverage must be really expensive for your population. Turkey is a much smaller country with a bigger population and there are three big providers and a bundle of small ones but the infrastructure belongs to the major three.

      Delete
  2. That really doesn't seem right. The same thing happens here - we have 2 cable companies (we still get cable for news as hubby is a news junkie). Every 2 years I threaten to move and they escalate it so they can give me the same deal as the other company but you shouldn't have to do that, they should just give you the deal for your loyalty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Now the soon-to-be-ex operator is losing all it's business from me. Instead of greedily trying to extract 96 TL from me, they could have kept my business for 50-60 TL. Now that I am mad, they are losing all of it and I am saving a lot more. If they had respected my loyalty I would be gibing them more money.

      Delete
  3. Just frustrating, isn't it? Loyal long time customers should be able to get same prices/plans. I stick with our carrier because they have really good coverage in areas where the other major carriers seem to lack. Like other people will come to our house and can't get service on their phones and we have no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just doesn't make sense how they penalize loyal customers.

      Delete