About Me

Friday, March 1, 2019

Unexpected Upsetting News

A friend of mine, an ex-co-worker had been hospitalized and he has already been in one surgery. His next surgery will be tomorrow and another will be within a month. All his major arteries are clogged including both his carotid arteries. He is in good hands and his wife and his son are taking very good care of him.

I talked to him yesterday and he was fine, doing some work in his hospital bed.

I like his wife as much as I like him so, today I called her to see how she is doing because taking care of a loved one is a tough job and the caregivers need empathy, encouragement and the feeling that they are also cared about as well.

As I was talking to her, I mentioned how I will go visit them once this ordeal is over and suddenly she said, she wouldn't be there at the house where they have moved to after retirement. I did not get it at first, thinking she was joking but, then she said that they are separated and will soon be getting a divorce. My mouth must have remained open for several minutes.

They have a young adult son who lives in Europe and these two seemed like a happy and dedicated couple. I always thought they have been very lucky to have found each other.

I am so sad about this. She told me a few things and her heart is broken for good reason. However, she says she still loves him as a friend and the father of her son and that she will take care of him through his recovery. I thought, may be they could work things out but, she says it is time to let go. They have both tried very hard but apparently my ex-co-worker has some anger issues which I never knew and he is reluctant to seek help.

I could not be more upset. I just wish them well the rest of their lives. May be this will be better for both of them, may be not, who knows?

4 comments:

  1. oh thats news sad T'Pol and a shock for you. I guess we never really know whats happening between people at home, perhaps retirement bought the problems to the surface for them. it sounds like she is a kind person to care for him as he recovers, hopefully the surgery all goes well for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. I like them both very much. Hope, they will be happy.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. We never truly know people, do we? What a shock. She's lovely to continue caring for him now, but perhaps their relationship will be better for their divorce. Sadly, sometimes it works that way. Hopefully your colleague comes through his surgery well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you NLA. I will call them both today before tomorrow's surgery. Hope, all goes well.

      Delete