About Me

Monday, April 8, 2019

Surprises may be not so good, so be careful!

Friday morning I got up early and drove about 6.5 hours to Izmir where I met my sister and BIL. I rested a couple of hours and let them do the rest of the driving to Antalya another 6+ hours.

My mom and uncle were expecting them but, not me. We had decided to surprise them and spend the weekend together to celebrate my sister's 45th birthday which is actually today. So, I let the kids (yeah we call a 45 year old and a 47 year old, kids) enter the apartment and hug and kiss mom. Then, my sister turned around and re-opened the door to let me in. Mom was very happy to see me. She came forward, hugged and kissed me and started to tell something... And then, she was completely out of it. She could not speak. We sat her down and my uncle ran for his BP monitor and mom was silent for I'd say, a good 3-4 minutes. Then she slowly started to make gestures and tried to say she was OK. We were all so scared!

She fully recovered in 10 minutes or so and said that she was very surprised and excited on seeing me. Mind you, we've spent a whole three and a half months together just before and after the New Year. We talk to each other every day, sometimes twice. It's not like I am the estranged daughter living in Australia for the last 30 years who just came back...

We decided never to surprise her from now on. I guess as people get old, they react to the same things differently. Normally, my mom is well.... was cool as a cucumber.

Anyway, the next day, the four of us went sightseeing and my uncle stayed behind to prepare us a great feast. I did not kill my diet entirely. I was very careful and may be I ate more than I should but, selected wisely.

We went by the sea and we all (not mom) had our swimsuits so, we decided to open the swimming season of 2019. The weather was 60 degrees and the Mediterranean was about 62-64 so, yes we, the crazy people went in for over 20 minutes and had a great time in very cold water. It was good though. Mom sipped her tea and watched us have fun.

Yesterday, we drove back from Antalya to Izmir and today, I drove back to Istanbul.

It was a crazy weekend...

Now, I think I should write "Never surprise mom again!" 500 times.

6 comments:

  1. yep, thought about doing the same with my mum, but then thought better of it. Now after reading this post, you have just confirmed I made a wise decision!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad your mum was OK, I guess surprises to affect us all differently. Swimming in the med - oh how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet you were scared when your mom did that! Glad she is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scared is an understatement. I almost had a heart attack myself.

      Delete