About Me

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Weekend Things

Yesterday I did some cooking. I baked sliced eggplants and cooked purslane. In case you do not know what it is; here is a picture:

I bought two very big bunches with the roots still intact. It is very messy and you need to wash it several times to get rid of the soil. I cut off the roots and washed it real well. I then sauteed an onion and a couple of tomatoes, cut up the purslane and added to that. Since the vegetable is very watery, it doesn't need any added water. This cooked on the stove for about 20 minutes to get rid of all the liquid. Two big bunches make just one and a half portion vegetable! I love this but, the washing and the small yield just kills me. 

I have both the purslane and the eggplants with plain yogurt. I sometimes add crushed garlic, mint leaves and red pepper flakes to the yogurt.

All that effort and I have 4 portions of vegetables! Whatever...

Today I met a friend for a cup of coffee and a stroll. After I dropped her at her apartment, I went to my favorite fish place and had a salad with sea bream for lunch. It was yummy and I did not have to cook it myself and make the house stink.

Now, I have some work to do. Hope, everyone is having a nice weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I have never had purslane. I don't think I've seen it anywhere. I looked it up and discovered it's full of nutrients and low in calories. I'm hoping to be able to get outside to walk soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that purslane is sold in your neck of the woods. It is mostly a Mediterranean thing. However, you can grow it easily if you want to. It has a tangy taste and is great in salads too.

      Delete