About Me

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Mom - New Hospital, New Doctors

Today, I texted my friend's friend who is the head of the Infectious Disease Department. He told me to go see him by 2 p.m.

Promptly at 2 p.m. I walked into his office. He is a very nice and mellow man. He told me mom's lungs are not the biggest problem but her heart is. He gave me a summary of what has been done at the other hospital and how he now intends to follow her. He said a cardiologist was going to see her today and after they receive the test results that they have ordered today, they will sit down and come up with a treatment plan.

He then called the medical technician who monitors the patients at that particular ICU (They have 5 of those). The technician had done his homework and he also summarized their initial findings.

They promised that, they will call me every day possibly around noon time to update me. I asked if we could make our voices heard and talk to her at least over the phone and they said they did not have that capability. I told them I could bring her cell phone and give it to the nurses so that, when they are tending to her, we could at least talk to her although, she will not be able to answer us. They said, it may be possible later on. So, I did not press further.

I asked them to please talk to her when they are in her room because she needs some stimulation.

I also gave them the air bed we had purchased for bedsores. It looks like the other hospital did not even use it. She has some bedsores. The kind of bed we have bought is better so, they will use it. I was waiting for a nurse to come get it but, the Professor was going upstairs and he saw me. He took the air bed and carried it upstairs for me. Such a nice man. He told me never to hesitate to call him on his cell phone.

These things of course do not alone determine whether mom will make it or not but, now the doctors are reachable and at least we will ask everything that confuses us.

As for the financial aspect of this; the hospital care for her is free since, she has been admitted through ER and ended up in the ICU as per the social medical system we have. However, I told them if there is any medicine or any other thing they may need which is not reimbursed by the Government Social Security, they should call us. We are willing to do whatever it takes.

I then went to the Pharmacy owned by one of my old HS pals and picked up 10 bottles of Nutrivigor for my BIL's mom. She is not in good shape and is having difficulty eating. Apparently, she is losing weight and not getting enough nutrition. A doctor needs to see her and put this on her medical requirements list so that, they can get them for free. However, at this time we wanted to try it first to see if she will like it. I am told it tastes like chocolate shake so, what is there not to like? I also brought them some extra trashbags for the diapers they use on BIL's mom and some masks just in case the dad or the caregiver needs to go out. I did not enter the apartment because I was at the hospital earlier so, I could not see the mom. Poor woman. The second stroke did her in. Her right side is paralyzed, she can't talk and we are not sure if she understands who is who and what's going on around her.

After I left, I called my BIL to tell him that I had dropped the stuff at his folks and he said both moms are making us miserable these days. He is an only child, poor thing. He then, thanked me for being his big sister too. He is a sweetheart and loves my sister to the moon and back.

When I came home, I hung my clothes outside, took off my mask and face shield and took a long shower. I was wearing gloves but the doctor told me there is no need for it if I practice good hand hygiene

So, today was busy and purposeful. It made me feel a wee bit better.

12 comments:

  1. At least there is good communication now. Not knowing is terrible. I am happy to hear the part about the gloves, I feel the same way. Gloves can pick up so many things then you can inadvertantly transfer that to other things (or tough your face). People here are rarely wearing face masks except in certain cities like Toronto and Montreal that have been hit hard. Hugs to you and your Mom, so nice of you to help your BIL out with his Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick, it is compulsory here to wear masks. Even if they lift the ban, I am not giving it up for at least a year. I am considered a high risk individual with High Blood Pressure, obesity. I am also known to get the pneumonia fast. And yes, you are right about the gloves.

      Delete
  2. T'Pol,
    So glad to hear the updates on your mom and the agony of not knowing very much or getting to see her is at an end. The Mother's Day tribute was lovely, I cried. I understand that there is no guaranteed outcome, but I think her seeing you and the specialized care will make a difference. Still hoping and praying for the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EAS thank you so much. Writing the Mother's Day post was very emotional.

      Delete
  3. So glad you've been able to have a good talk with the doctor, he sounds very helpful. I hope your mum starts to get some improvement now, the air mattress is a good idea. take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. They told us they had air matresses but the style we bought is amuch better. I am glad they were willing to use ours.

      Delete
  4. I hope that this is going to turn a corner for her health. i am so glad that you saw her and spoke to her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JiCaLu! She is very tired though. I am hoping for the best possible outcome.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad she is in a different facility where you can stay informed. The worst is not knowing. Again I keep you and your mom in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you can now be in better communication with doctors. Will they let you in for another short visit soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My sister is coming so, we will try to get her see my mom next week. I am thinking it will be possible.

      Delete