About Me

Friday, July 3, 2020

Friday wrap up and a cute story from the past

I finished making the masks for uncle. However, didn't want to go out today just to mail them. On Sunday I have to go back to Ankara to deal with soome bureaucracy involving inheritance, taxes and deeds.  I thought they could be done remotely but, when the staff is not trained properly to deal with online processed applications, it gets frustrating. Mom left us an apartment and her share in the family property. I already own the rest of that property and I cannot wait to sell it.

My uncle is dragging his feet to clean the place and take whatever belongs to him. He still thinks since it is a home with some small yard it could be useful. He just does not get that none of us will be living in that city and none of us are up to dealing with a house and a yard. He also thinks since the place will not be sold at a good price (due to some technicalities), it is a waste to sell it. Well...

Anyway, I am doing pretty good with what I eat but not so much with exercise. I have to start loving my treadmill. The treadmill is in the spare room and I have so much unfolded laundry on the bed there along with a drying rack which gets daily use nowadays that, working out is not appealing right now. Need to get that room put together fast. May be after I type this, I will go and take 15 minutes to do whatever I can.

On another note, I have two scales at home and one needs a special battery, the other just died yesterday. It was working fine on Monday and now all it shows is an error message. It is a Tanita scale and I lke it very much. I need to get it fixed somehow.

Yesterday night, I finally slept in my own bed instead of crashing on the loveseat. It took a while to fall asleep but, I did it. I will start going to bed early and try some soothing music or a really boring book to keep sleeping in my bedroom.

Today, I realized that there was a story from my youth that my sister did not know. She was surprised too. It is a kind of funny one actually. Here it is:

I did not have any boyfriends in my early teens. I did not have the time due to having to study very hard and commuting to school every day. Summers were usually at my grandparents and with my parents so, I had some little innocent crushes but, nothing that can be considered slightly as flirting. I was a bit of an introvert too. Yes, I was. I am surprised at that even now.

Well, the summer after my freshman year, I turned 18 and we went to a vacation spot ran by my dad's workplace. We came accross and old schoolmate of his with his family. They had two sons, one a year older than I am and another, a year older than my sister. The two families became very friendly. Their son and I became friends and took long walks together, sat by the sea at night, sort of like a very very little flirting thing. My dad went nuts. He would tell my mom to stop me to hang out with this guy. Mom would argue with him thinking that he was nuts, etc. He never said a word, himself.

After this 12 day vacation, we went to grandmas. One day I told my dad that I wanted to go on a long walk with him and I opened up his dreaded subject of me becoming an adult and showing interest in the other sex. After a long speech delivered by yours truly, we came back home to grandmas and not another word was said.

When we went back to our home, the guy started calling me to get together and my dad would be telling me I could not. So, one day, I sat him down and told him that I did not want to lie to my parents but I did want to keep being friends with the guy and if I did, they wouldn't even know.

A few days later, dad called me to the breakfast table and said: "Well, your mom and I talked about this your growing up thing. You are right. We do trust the values we gave you and we trust you and your choices. We know you will not do anything stupid to harm yourself and jeopardize a bright future ahead of you. However, I am a bit old fashioned and I just cannot bear the thought of you dating someone. So, as long as you tell us at what time you will be home, we will not ask you who you were with or what you have done". I looked at my mom and she just rolled her eyes. I asked him wouldn't it be rather safer to know who I hang out with and he said "No. I decided to trust your judgment than be uncomfortable and hurt our relationship as father and daughter". I said "OK. Fine. I know, noone will be sorry". This worked out fine for everyone.

So, that was our deal. To this day, my sister did not know that and she is shocked. Lol! Needless to say, dad was never as strict with my sister who is a social butterfly. She also wouldn't mind lying to her parents :)

7 comments:

  1. I am glad you are finding a little routine bit by bit. I love that story, it shows how well your dad and mom raised you that you could be open and honest with him - I only lied to my parents when they stopped liking the boy I was dating :s! Ah, youth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not an adventurous person by any means when it comes to relationships. I think too highly of respectability, success and intellect. I would never go for a "bad boy" who would drop out of school, drive fast cars, smoke and etc.

      Delete
    2. I was definitely just dating someone wrong for me, and it got awkward and that is when i lied - so you're spot on! i can't do bad boys either haha

      Delete
  2. I hope your trip to Ankara goes well. It can be fun to think back to the teenage years. I think parents are more relaxed with the second child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so much more relaxed with the second. Yet, I had to cart her everywhere and pick her up for, my dad did not trust "those guys". Lol!

      Delete
  3. thats a sweet story of your mum & dad :) I need to make friends with my treadmill also, at the moment I have clothes drying on it. I'm glad you were able to start some small routines that are helping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom has always been the more relaxed one. Dad was impossible but very loving so, I was never angry at him for not being able to do what my peers did. Even as a teenager I knew that.

      Delete