About Me

Saturday, April 17, 2021

Love Technology!

As a young kid, I loved watching Star Trek Original Series and then, I got interested in all things space related. I have read books about "aliens",  watched and read other Sci-Fi works and at my current age, I am pretty much the same. I even own a copy of this book: Day of Honor Omnibus which is 1104 pages long. It is about a sacred day of Klingons. 

So, you may imagine my disappointment in 21st Century. As a kid, I honestly imagined a peaceful world, lots of space missions, meeting other species, everybody having access to food and work, etc. come 21st Century. Naive? Yes, absolutely. But, wouldn't it be great?

With all that said, I am still thankful for the current technology available to us. It makes my life so much enjoyable especially during the time of the pandemic. I get to speak to my family as frequently as we like, we can "see" each other while we speak, there are tons of material to keep life enjoyable such as audiobooks, tons of online content on pretty much anything and everything. Banking, dealing with Government offices or other businesses, ordering food and groceries can be done online now. I find this fascinating. Heck, we don't even need to red maps anymore! I remember those good old times, I kept getting lost while driving in the US early 90's. 

I worked in the US between 1990 and 1993 and then for another 6 months in 1995-1996. I have made great friends there. I was able t keep contact with some of them through simple letter and card writing nd sending via what we call snail mail nowadays. With some, I had lost touch. However, I was able to track down some of those people many years later through technology and now we are in touch again. I was in touch with a handful of my High School friends before Facebook. Now, I have access to not only 80 % of my graduate class but, a hole bunch of graduates of various other years. We seek out help, get to help others and do so much more via our groups. 

When I was in the US in 2018, my BFF's husband was very sick and was at the hospital. I had originally planned to stay for two weeks but when my friend asked if I could stay longer, I was able to extend my visit but I needed my prescription medicine which I couldn't get in the US. So, I reached out to a couple of Facebook groups and an old co-worker of mine told me her cousin who lives in the US would be going back home in a few days and that she could bring my stuff. We met in NYC where my friend's husband was staying at a hospital. I was spending the day with him, keeping him company so, I just took a half hour break to hop on a bus to collect my meds. Use of availabe technology made it so easy.

My closest friend is American and she lives practically 5K miles away from me but we, speak to each other every day and we watch murder mysteries and crime procedurals. While we chat on Whatsapp, we watch our shows on Netflix or Amazon. 

I also know that technology made some things more stressful. People who are working complain about being so reachable at all times during the day and prolonged work hours. I symphatize with that and I am sure HO work will require new rules and regulations which will happen one of these days. Remember the Industrial Revolution, child workers and extreme hours? 

So, I love Technology and am very thankful for those who made it possible.

4 comments:

  1. It sure does make communicating much easier. I honestly doubt I could have moved 400 miles from my dd without it. It keeps her and I in almost constant contact. I can't count the number of times we message each other throughout a day. I really enjoy science fiction books and read a lot of them. My new favorite is the Murderbot Diaries series. Have you read them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murderbot Diaries sound interesting. I should try them once I read the pile of books I have.

      Delete
  2. I can't say I like sci fi or aliens but I agree that technology is wonderful (although it can also be a hard taskmaster also - constant emails etc., as you mentioned). But talking of navigation technology, one time I was watching an episode of Dad's Army (a comedy set in England during WWII). They had obviously taken down all the road signs and I remember being told that in the event of another "world war", all the road signs would again be removed and so the Soviet Union had had truckers driving all over Europe for many years and who would know the various routes because of it. It just struck me as extremely clever. Now, I guess they'd just take the satellites down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a clever trick to take down signs but, today even if satellites are taken down, it will not matter. Offline maps are available and every little corner is already mapped.

      Delete