About Me

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Saturday Locksmith's Table

Today both uncle and I woke up pretty late around 11 a.m. in the morning. He is meeting with his best buddies from HS for an early and prolonged dinner, a Locksmith's Table.

The preferred alcoholic beverage in this country is "Rakı" which is similar to the Lebanese Arak or the Greek Uzo. Usually, it is had over a long dinner with small dishes to sample, followed by fish and dessert. The small dishes served are generally called "meze". Hummus, Baba Ganoush, cold eggplant dishes, bean varieties in olive oil, cold served seafood, fried seafood, cold dips/spreads, olives and anything served to sample in small quantities can be called meze. 

Meze is accompanied by toasted bread, a nice piece of white cheese (similar to Feta but not as sharp) and melon. This meal is supposed to go on for several hours. The point is not to stuff yourself or drink a lot but, rather enjoy a long chat with the people you really care for as you nibble food and drink sips of rakı. This ritual is traditionally called "Çilingir Sofrası" / Locksmith's Table because, as you gradually drink and relax and as you are surrounded by the people you care for, you start pouring your heart out and the others offer their advice, support and cheer you up. The Locksmith apparently opens your heart. If you get too drunk or too upset, friends will pick you up and drop off at home. What is talked about at the Locksmith's Table stays at the table. More often though, these dinners are cheerful occasions where you get together with your friends, eat, drink and be merry. 

Here is a sample Locksmith's Table:


I am not a big drinker of Rakı because alcohol actually doesn't agree with me much, especially in the summer. I prefer an occasional glass of wine or a bottle of beer.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rainy day and, I am going to make Penne a la Vodka (I am going to use Barilla Gnochetti actually) for dinner and open a bottle of red wine for us.

One of my uncle's friends just picked him up even though I had offered to drive him. They will have their dinner at a nice restaurant by the Bosphorus, watching boats in and out of the harbor and seagulls accompanying the ferries. It is a bit chilly but, they will sit outside. Restaurants provide space heaters so, people can stay out.

I am going out for a walk and will pick up a couple of items from the grocery store on my way back. 

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

11 comments:

  1. I love that. What a nice way of socializing. I used to go to a Lebanese restaurant where they served the mezze all evening while listening to music and some times dancing. I don’t go anymore because they always bring in belly dancers which is the kind of entertainment Is almost equal to the strip clubs.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. Cannot stand belly dancers either.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading this and learning about Locksmith table. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are all sorts of interesting traditions some of them at the verge of being almost lost. Surely, this is not one of them. Lol!

      Delete
  3. That sounds very enjoyable and relaxing way to enjoy a meal and friends/family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a Locksmith's table!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I remember when our Turkish friend took us to a little out-of-the way place in Istanbul for just such a meal. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven (although I prefer wine to raki)!

    ReplyDelete