About Me

Friday, July 25, 2014

Finally.... The Dentist Edition

I admit that I hate going to the dentist. I postponed this dreaded visit until today but finally, I decided it was time. Social Security covers dental work only if you go the the clinics and hospitals they have an agreement with. Those places usually have long waiting lists and I personally do not like the attitude of the employees there. Of course, there are exceptions.

I decided that oral hygiene is important and I can certainly pay for this out-of-pocket. I also decided to go to a private college's dental clinic not too far from where I live. This place was recommended by many people so, I thought it was worth a shot.

I am so glad I went there. There are gazillion doctors, most of whom are faculty members and the place was very organized, full of employees with a professional attitude and full of brand new equipment. I initially thought, students would be doing the work supervised by doctors and I was a bit worried about that but a friend of mine said that was not the case and she highly recommended the place.

I was taken care of by the Oral Diagnosis doctor first. She examined my teeth and ordered 3 X-Rays one of which was panoramic. She then checked the X-rays and told me that I needed a cleaning first. She also told me I needed two of my old fillings replaced and I should no more delay the implant I need in place of a lost tooth.

So, I went in to get an appointment for cleaning but the nice doctor there told me if I could wait for a half hour, I could get my cleaning right away. I happily accepted her offer. Since I have one extremely sensitive tooth, she had to administer a small dose of anesthetic.

After that I got an appointment for replacing one of my fillings for August 14. OK, I really do not like all that drilling but my mouth was in better condition than I thought.

Diagnosis, X-rays, cleaning with ansthesia cost me a total of USD 134.- I think that is a very good price.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a really good price for it all! Dental schools are the way to go. Too bad there are none within reasonable distance, and they are so few that they really don't give you a whole lot of a discount (or take insurance).

    ReplyDelete