I live on the Asian side of Istanbul and my current project is on the European side. My options of going to work are as follows:
1. By car, through either of the bridges
2. By car to the nearest Subway Station, Subway, Ferry, Funicular, Subway
3. By car to the Ferry, Ferry, Funicular, Subway
4. By car to the Sea Bus, Sea Bus, Subway
5. By car to Marmaray (under the sea), Marmaray, Subway
I do not like the idea of travelling under the sea so, number 5 is not a real option.
Options 2-5 take at least an hour and a half and they all require me to walk long distances to connect carrying my laptop case and heavy purse.
I get up at 5:30 a.m. and if I leave home by 6:30 a.m., it takes me only a half hour to drive. So, I started getting up early each day, reaching the office very early. I do my usual online banking, reading the blogs and what not which I used to do at night. My living hours have changed.
If I leave home any later than 6:40 a.m., the traffic becomes a nightmare.