About Me

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Rising cost of groceries

With the economy tanking in this country, things are getting very expensive. Today we went to a German version of a big box store for some necessities and spent quiet a bit of money. Between what I have ordered online and what we bought today, I think we are good to go till the end of the month. We may need some small stuff but, not much.

In any case, everything is so darn expensive. Eating out is getting to be real expenive so, I am glad we are cooking and eating at home mostly.

We bought quiet a bit of vegetables and some chopped meat and turkey drumsticks. Here is what mom and I will be making:

- Stuffed tomatoes and peppers cooked in tomato sauce.
- String beans cooked with chopped meat
- Stuffed eggplants
- Turkey drumsticks cooked in pressure cooker. The meat will be used for salads and sandwiches. The broth for soup.
- Pumpkin. I will use half of it in a soup, the rest baked in the oven with sweet potatoes and regular potatoes.

Meals will be divided in portion sizes and frozen so that we will not have to cook every day. I am tired of cooking almost every day lately, so, this will be a nice break.


4 comments:

  1. Food costs are rising here as well, especially meat and fish - but also fruit & veg (and this time of year fruit & veg are normally at a good price)! The supermarket that I prefer marks meat down by 50% on the day it is due to expire (it gets labelled - for dinner tonight) but it's fine for a couple of days or if frozen which is what I tend to do and that helps a lot. Otherwise I just try to make sure that I don't waste food as it's like throwing money away.
    I've always loved stuffed peppers but I've never actually made them myself - must try cooking some soon. What do you use as a stuffing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margie, I stuff peppers and tomatoes with a meat mixture. Chopped meat, finely diced onions, chopped parsley, rice, salt and pepper. As I make room in the tomatoes, I take the inner parts and add them to the meat mixture as well. When all peppers and tomatoes are stuffed, I add a mixture of tomato sauce and water and cook them on the stove. Very easy.

      Delete
    2. Thank you -peppers are on sale this week at my local grocery so I think I'm going to buy some and give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Your meals sound yummy. I can't wait to get back to regular meal planning and cooking.

    ReplyDelete