About Me

Sunday, October 8, 2017

An assesment? Nervously waiting...

The head of the project team from the investment company who is buying our company wanted to have a coffee meeting with me on Friday this coming week. I agreed and we shall be meeting.

He sent a message to my boss saying that he fixed a meeting with me and wants to discuss the process, the new organization chart and that they regard me as a critical asset and that there will be an assessment within this month. He is meeting me to tell me about this and support me. Now I am thinking what assessment? Do we just go through my CV? Do they administer personality tests? What do you think?

I just want these things over with.

I have been very happy in this job. I just wish things had stayed the same for another two years. It is not happening. So now what?

People generally have issues with big changes. Up until now, I have always considered myself as a more adaptive person to change than many others. But may be I am not? Why am I worried?

I can certainly walk away from my job come January and be still OK financially. However, I would like to be at a much better spot than simply be OK. Another two years will make a tremendous difference and I want that. Otherwise, I will most probably go back to consulting for may be at least five more years, if I can.

Here is what I want: I want to keep my current job for another two years and then slow down, taking only some select consulting jobs or not working at all.

I am wondering what is going to happen?  I am so nervous! I do not want to discuss these with anyone around me so, this blog is the only outlet that I have. When people ask me about what will happen to me I just shrug it off and say that I am not expecting much change. Playing cool. I am far from cool.

I just want these things over with!




7 comments:

  1. I can see how it would be hard to be cool. What is the two-year bit? What happens in two years? I think you are wise to discuss this with no one around you. Whew, let us know how things are going. What is your industry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working for an IT company and I am number 2 person after the boss. I have been able to save a ton of money ever since I got this job. I have also taken over a debt from a family member to keep a house in the family. In two years that debt will be gone and I will have saved some more money to have a comfy retirement. Actually ideally I would like to work until I am 56, 6 more years but two years are sufficient too.

      Delete
  2. Hello and what an honor that you're considered such a huge asset.

    When I'm making a major decision or facing a big change I do what a counselor taught me 20yrs ago: think carefully and write down The Worst Case Senario/s from this impending chage. Write as many 'cases' as you'd like (perhaps you do not get this job offer and/or you are unemployed for a few months and/or you never work again), dig deep into your fears but also be realistic. For each case you then write up what might happen and how you may deal with it. Once you have a plan for your fears you'll feel more in control.

    Hope this will help. Good wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be looking at all those cases I can think of.

      Delete
    2. That's great. It's been a valuable tool throughout my life. I hope you'll write about whether it helps you.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully you are worrying about nothing! If you are just meeting for coffee it sounds like it would be a pretty informal type of meeting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The assesment will be later. This meeting is indeed informal with someone who will possibly become a board member once the company is sold.

      Delete