About Me

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Walking!

Whenever I walked, I had some back pain which would keep me from walking in the past. Then I went to a doctor to see if I had some real issues. She is an old friend of mine and she told me, my back was not worse than hers. She told me my real problem was a muscle spasm and gave me a shot and I felt 100% better.

Then I really did not walk much because it was so hot, because I felt so tired, because I did not feel like walking, you know all sorts of excuses... I also had convinced myself that I were unable to walk due to my weight.

When I went on vacation I had to walk enormous distances. On the day we went to see the Freedom tower, we walked more than 15,000 steps! In some other days, I walked more than 12,000. So, obviously I was able to walk! What a revelation!

As soon as I came back from vacation and settled down, I decided to start eating healthy and exercise.

Within 6 weeks, I lost 4.3 kg, 9.47 pounds. Some of that might have been water weight but still, even if half of it is real loss, I am content. I have been eating very healthy food and have been almost consistently walking. Some days, it is hard. Yesterday, my back acted up again and I am sitting here writing all this with a patch on my back. Today, I will only use dumbbells to work my arms.

I am using a MiFit Band II and it's app along with a couple of other apps on my phone to track my progress. Believe me, this was such an eye opener. I have discovered that, I was not literally walking even 1,000 steps some days. OMG! Such a couch potato!

I am now taking a short walk at noon right before lunch. About, 2,000-2,500 steps. After work, every other day, I go for a walk for at least an hour. Some days I walk faster, some days I walk slower but the point is I do walk! 

I have the muscle spasm back again but I know how to fight it off. I will apply Tiger Balm or Ben-Gay or something similar before I go out. 

I am terrible during the weekends so, now that is my new thing to work on. I should be more active during the weekends.

I made a promise to myself: I will spend at least an hour each day exposing myself to the elements. Snow, rain or shine, I will spend time outdoors. Working on it.

I have also found out something about myself: I must make something a bit of an obsession so that I can make it a healthy habit. For instance, I had been obsessed about my finances, financial independence and all that. I control my accounts, payments on a regular basis. I have charts to see my progress and to analyze if ı am doing the right things. My financial situation is at a good place now. If I had not been so diligent about that, I do not think, I would have saved as much as I did.

So, tracking progress, checking the count of my steps, my pulse and becoming a bit obsessed about these will help me in the long run and assure my success. Obsession is a negative word but there is a healthy dose of that. 

What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. I think you are right about the obsession bit...lol. It really probably needs to be an obsession at first in order to be an ingrained habit. I also think I should be writing a post like this. My doctor suggested an app and I forgot what it is. So, now I have to call his office for it. I walked no matter what for months about fifteen years ago. Then, I quit. When there was the threat of thunderstorms, not just rain, I would walk around the block enough times to get in my distance. That way I was close enough I could sprint to get away from the possibility of being struck by lightning or an oak limb. You make sure not to walk with thunder about.

    Good luck on the rest of this venture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I think? I think you're pretty fantastic to commit to this and to just do it. I need to do this, but there's always a reason *not* to, right? This is something I'm coming to terms with this month. Your weight loss is amazing for six weeks! Congratulations! Don't push yourself too hard, though - if your back hurts, don't walk so far or so fast. Also, try working on your core muscles - that'll help immensely. Yoga! xx

    ReplyDelete