About Me

Monday, October 16, 2017

End of year savings goals...

I had mentioned that the savings goals I had set at the beginning of the year will not happen. I am going to be off by 2-3%.

I have looked at my cash outflow and realized that the fluctuation is due to two things:

1. I did not anticipate that I would need work clothes due to the fluctuation in my weight.
2. The USD exchange rate fluctuation.

I will be better prepared for the wardrobe items this year. However, the exchange rate is out of my control. Lol! Too bad:)

Here is a tally of the USD/TL parity at the end of every month this year.


31/1/17 28/2/17 31/3/17 30/4/17 31/5/17 28/6/17 31/7/17 31/8/17 30/9/17
3.7875 3.6978 3.6362 3.5504 3.5312 3.5211 3.5226 3.4410 3.5521

As you can see the difference between the beginning of the year and the end of third quarter is about 6.6%. So, it is difficult to estimate this correctly in Turkish Liras.

This year I am going to separate my TL goals from USD goals. 

My savings are in TL, USD and in Gold. You may ask why Gold? Well, this part of the world is not all that peaceful. God forbid, if s..t hits the fan, one may have difficulty in accessing her/his funds. Gold coins are always worth money. So, I like to keep a healthy number of small coins. As a matter of fact, I shall be purchasing some more when I get paid next month. (We get paid monthly). 

I shall be setting next year's goals in December.






4 comments:

  1. Some people in the US keep gold around for shtf. Someone wrote that US nickels are the best everyday coin to have...just what I have read.

    I finally put your blog on my blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that before that gold is a great investment. We don't have any gold though other than jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not such a great investment actually. However, it is always worth keeping some for unexpected situations. Living in this part of the world, it is difficult to foresee the future. Jewelry cannot be considered gold investment because, they lose significant value due to workmanship. Typically, I prefer coins or bars. They have bars starting at 1gr. Women in rural areas prefer 22 ca. bracelets that have minimal workmanship.

      Delete