About Me

Monday, October 2, 2017

Vacation Part 3- Charleston, SC Unexpected Loooong Drive

My friend living in NY dropped me off at the airport for my flight to Charleston, SC. The friends I were going to visit used to live in Danbury, CT but after retirement they moved South for tax and climate purposes.

I went to the gate and started to wait for my flight. I couldn't help but notice that the aircraft was a small one, kind of like a bus. Well, I do not like those. As I was sitting there, they postponed the flight to three hours later. So, I walked up to the gentleman at the counter to ask why, because the aircraft was at the gate already. He told me it was due to a mechanical failure. Uh!Oh! I became quiet nervous and decided that I would not fly. I immediately cancelled my flight and got reimbursed for it. Apparently Delta is very gentle about nervous fliers.

I rented a car at JFK to drop off at Charleston International Aİrport the next day and headed South. I left the airport at 2:15 p.m.

Meanwhile my friends in SC were nervous wrecks because, it is a 14-15 hour drive. I assured them that I would definitely check-in to a hotel at night and rest.

I drove until 11:00 p.m. with 2-3 short stops and checked in to a hotel north of North Carolina. Next morning I woke up at 6:00 a.m., had a shower and a good breakfast at the hotel. I was at the Charleston Airport by 1:00 p.m.

I actually like to drive in the US so, next time, I will definitely do this with better planning so that I will not feel rushed.

My friends and I had a very nice time in SC. We visited the Magnolia Plantation and Charleston. Most of the time we just sat and chatted because it had been two years since we had seen each other and although we keep in touch via whatsapp, face-to-face time is important.

Photos will follow in the next post!

2 comments:

  1. I took a bus for the last leg from NYC. It was a short hop from Atlanta to Birmingham. It was a nerve-wracking hour or so. I will never willing get on another bus. Why do you like driving in the US? It sounds like you had an uneventful drive with no weather or traffic problems and you rested and slept. I can imagine how your friends felt, knowing you were on the road for so long in a country not your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally like driving. More so in the US because, the scenery is nice and you get to catch a glimpse of many different places you have never been before. I have lived in the US in the early 90s for more than 3 years so, it is like second home to me. I am as comfortable as I am in my own country when I am in the US.

    ReplyDelete