About Me

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Keep Asking: Is this a need or is this a want?

Since the theme of this year is SAVE! SAVE! SAVE!, I must constantly remind myself whether something I want is a real need or not.

For instance, I have an old rug in the kitchen. It doesn't look bad. Only I know how old it is. Besides, if I did not have that rug, do I really need one in the kitchen? Not really. So, that has been crossed from my list.

Have I ever told you about that list of mine? I don't think so.

Whenever I feel like I must buy something, I put it on a list. Once or twice every week, I visit that list and extract my weekly grocery shopping items. So, you see it is more of a catch all list.

I want a pair of nice Caterpillar boots. The boots I currently have, started to look shabby and although I think, they will survive this winter, I will need new boots next year. So, for now, I have put the boots on my list and noted the current price. When I go to my primary residence next week, I will see if there are other boots that I can wear so that I can postpone this purchase. I may have some less worn boots but for a while I could not wear them. I had some pain issues and I relied solely on New Balance Athletic shoes and the boots that I currently wear. My problems are gone and I may try to go back to wearing my old footwear to see if the problems will come back or not. If it does, there is motivation to purge right there!

I was thinking of getting a new bedspread for the bed in my primary home but, since I will give up the studio in the summer, I will end up with extra bedspreads anyway. Pooof! No more a need. Just got crossed off my list.

I was at IKEA yesterday. Since the weather was bad, I just wanted to stretch my legs. I really did not need anything to buy except for ziplock baggies. Meanwhile, on my need list, I had some hand towels. I was looking for the  cheap white kind which can be bleached and this has been a long time need but I simply refused to pay more than a certain amount for them. I found towels that were just what I wanted and the price was very close to what I would be willing to pay. Then all of a sudden, I remembered that I had a 20 TL off gift card from a previous purchase which was about to expire. Voila! The cost of the hand towels came to a figure below what I would be willing to pay. A bit of patience sometimes goes a long way.

Using a list makes your buying choices a somewhat fun exercise too. How? You get creative. For instance, sometimes, I find things to re-purpose to serve a need and cross the related item off my list. Every penny saved now is a penny that might be badly needed in retirement.

 I am a big proponent of the quote: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”







2 comments:

  1. Excellent - I love the list; I do something quite similar. Last week I went to the thrift shop and filled my cart. Then as I took a second look at the items I had chosen I asked myself if I really needed it. I was left with only 3 items and saved myself a bundle by not spending needlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I think the captialist system taught us to be thrilled when we are about to purchase something. That feeling motivates us to buy, buy, buy. Stuff mostly adds to clutter. Take care!

      Delete