About Me

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Why do people save things for special occassions?

Today mom showed me a beautiful leather handbag that I had given her more than 20 years ago. She never used it because, she saved it for special occassions and perhaps forgot it for some time. The bag must have cost me the half of my salary back then.

She asked me if I would like to have it and I said "Well since that you are not using it why not?"

I am not upset. Over the years I bought many things for mom and she used most of them till they basically fell apart.

However, I have a problem with saving beautiful things for special occassions. When is a better time than now?

When I was a kid, many people had a "guest room". Some people still do. That usually was the largest room of the house originally intended to be the family room. It would be expensively furnished and decorated and would be kept closed most of the time. The room would be barely used and some women even covered the furniture with throws or sheets so that the furniture wouldn't get dusty or fade.  Even as a kid, that was such a stupid thing for me. After all, why shouldn't I enjoy the best room and best furnishings that I can afford?

Who knows how long we shall live or how long we will have the good health to enjoy our belongings?


No comments:

Post a Comment