About Me

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Do I need Marie Kondo?

Despite the cold, I guess Spring must be in the air because, I feel like decluttering. There are so many items that I do not use just staying and collecting dust or taking up space. After all this is a two bedroom, one bathroom 940 sq.ft. apartment.

I watched a couple of episodes of the Marie Kondo Show. Some people have enormous amounts of stuff and I consider myself lucky because I am nowhere near that. I do have things that serve no purpose other than having sentimental value. For instance I have 4 model sailing ships my father had made and painted. There are also a few earthenware things that he painted. I have received some serving dishes that I never use. I just cannot get rid of these. They spark joy I guess :) If I had to throw away everything that didn't spark joy, perhaps I would need to empty the apartment. My idea of feeling joy is very much different than Marie Kondo.

I got rid of an old lamp and an old silly hat plus half a garbage bag of stuff today.

Part of my problem is I do not usually put things back in place after I am done with them. I had a serious look at the kitchen countertops and the living room and confirmed this. So, I attacked those areas and I am almost done. I think I have an hour more work. While I put things in place, I am also dusting. After I am done, I will vacuum the apartment.

Before taking a shower, I will take care of the bathroom and my apartment will look nice again!

I have also discovered that, the cleaning lady is not doing such a great job dusting. I will tell her the areas she keeps forgetting. She comes every two weeks and I know it is not enough but that is all I can afford. I always tell her that windows do not need to be washed every time especially in this season. Instead she can do a better job with deep cleaning and dusting but, she always washes the windows. I guess it is easy and can be easily seen so that it gives a clean feeling.

May be I should sit less on my butt and dust and vacuum the place on the weeks she does not come.

Hopefully the shower doors will be installed on either Friday or Saturday. It was supposed to be either today or tomorrow but, reading One Family, One Income, I know contractors never deliver on time.

Off I go to complete my chores! Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. I haven't watched that show yet, though a few Facebook friends have commented on it. I'm not usually super attached to all my stuff (unlike my DH) so I don't usually have a problem getting rid of something. I don't see a lot of point to having a lot ofstuff that isn't used or displayed to be enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I am sure you have gotten rid of unnecessary stuff before you packed so, your new home will be really nice.

      Delete
  2. I looked through my closet and not much in there sparks joy! If I got rid of everything except the few things that I really like, I'd have nothing to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I;ve been dabbling with Marie since 2014... Watched the tv series and bought the book two weeks ago. ( which I've read once and reading again). Ive done the clothes ( ended up with a very full bag), did my books ( over 80 donated to two different charities), doing papers now, and also have two boxes full of things to donate, with more to go I'm sure. I didn't think I had that much stuff, but when you start the process, it's amazing how much you have hidden. One thing I'm keeping are my old calendars. I love to look back at the things that are written there. Right now I'm tackling the junk room, which is filled with papers and junk. LOL This is the year where my house is being purged! Next week, I'm tackling the china cabinet. My mom has volunteered to wash all the dishes... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The china cabinet is my next target too. Your mom is so sweet to volunteer washing all the dishes. As we are motivated to purge, let's keep on with it!

      Delete