About Me

Friday, February 15, 2019

A recipe and about food...

I feel very lazy to cook dinner today. Tonight's dinner will be a can of cannelini beans, onions, olives and boiled eggs. I make a salad with these and use lemon juice and olive oil for dressing. Yum!

I know it is healthier and cheaper to use dry beans but I have none at home and I am using the canned version. I also have two cans of chick beans which I will use in salads. This week, I could not let myself buy any salad greens because they not only looked very sad but were very pricey too. So, I got carrots and red meat radishes to make salads. I basically grate them and use lemon and olive oil on top.

Tomorrow, I think I will have what we call "kisir" something similar to tabouleh for brunch. I have my own recipe perfected over the years and it is neither tabouleh nor kisir anymore. Lol!

Here is how I make it:

Ingredients: (2-3 Servings)

1 cup of fine bulgur wheat
1 bunch of parsley (about two cups chopped) you can use less or more depending on your taste buds
2 cups of finely chopped freash sweet peppers. In the US, I use green Italian peppers.
1 small onion
Half a lemon's juice (I use a bit more since I like it that way)
1/4 cup of tomato sauce
3/4 cup of hot water
Cumin
Dried mint leaves
Salt
Pepper
Red Pepper flakes
Olive Oil

Put the bulgur wheat in a container that has a lid. Pour the mixture of hot water and tomato sauce on it, stir so that all the bulgur is wet and put the lid on. That needs to sit for about 10-15 minutes while you wash and chop the parsley and the sweet peppers. I use my food processor and put them both in together. Set the chopped veggies aside.

Chop the small onion finely and using a table spoon of olive oil, cook the onions slightly. Do not caramelize or overcook. 2 minutes is enough over medium heat.

Now combine everything you have prepared and season with the above spices to your liking. I use about two heaping tablespoons of dried mint leaves and at least a teaspoon of cumin if not more.
Add some more olive oil and voila! I like this best with tea. There is nothing bad for you. Since I use the food processor, it takes all of 20 minutes to prepare and a lot less to eat:)


2 comments:

  1. that sounds delicious! I always keep some tinned beans/lentils on hand for when I haven't got time to soak dry bean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! It sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing, T'Pol. And even better, I eat everything on that list - ha ha! x

    ReplyDelete