About Me

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Mom now at a Different Hospital

Earlier today, mom's doctor called me to let me know that they are moving her to another hospital's ICU. She said theirs was a Covid-19 pandemic hospital and that if she were in a regular ICU, we would be able to see her.

They had told us that they were looking to move her but, I thought it would be within the campus. At first, I was devastated because I knew nothing about this other hospital. So, I went on Facebook to my and my sister's High School Alumni group to see if anyone knew about this place. It turned out that they have a good reputation. On top of that we have discovered many friends who knew doctors there.

As soon as the former hospital told me the specially equipped ambulance took her, I jumped in my car and went there. I have been told the families are not allowed to see patients these days due to additional precautions that they are taking. However, I was able to see her for 5 minutes. They let me see her when I told them I have not seen her for over two months. She is being sedated but, she was awake and she did respond to me. I made her blink if she recognized me. With a mask and a face shield, I wasn't sure. I told her that we loved her and missed her over and over again. I saw a small tear and a bit of a smile. Knowing that she is conscious is a good thing. But then again, may be not. I do not know how frightened she must be.

I will not describe how she looked. Suufice it to say, she just looked like she has been in a battle.

Later in the day, a friend of mine called me to check in and she told me that she was very good friends with the Head Infectious Disease Doctor at that particular hospital. She called him in the evening. He told her to give me his cell number so that I can call him anytime tomorrow to meet up with him.

Mom is still in critical condition and her other organs are under stress making her very fragile.

I am happy to be able to see her but, my heart is aching and I am constantly sobbing today. This has been the hardest test of my life and I hope, I will never ever have to face another one like this.

Thanks to all of you sending prayers and thoughts our way.


12 comments:

  1. I"m soooo glad you got to see her. I'm sure it will also do wonders for her, to have that boost to her mentally to be able to finally see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I spoke to her doctor and the technician monitoring her today. I will post about that.

      Delete
  2. I am so so glad you got to see your Mom and likely can in the future. It has been two months of pure hell for both of you. Perhaps her ability to see you once in a while will be better for her health overall. Hugs to both of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I will post about my conversation with the doctor later today.

      Delete
  3. She knows you love her and are there for her. She is certainly a strong person.
    I'm glad you have access to the head infectious disease doctor for answers and updates.
    I am praying for you, your mom, and her healthcare team. Remember to take care of yourself as well.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Susan. Now that the doctors are more reachable, at least we can ask questions, tell them to talk to her and etc.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy that you got to see your mom, even if it was just a brief moment. I am crying happy tears for your fortune and continue to keep both you and your mom in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne... Thank you very much. We will see if she will recover. She is hanging by a thread.

      Delete
  5. This is good news! I'm so glad you were able to see your mom. I'll continue to pray for her and you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jan! Prayers and good vibes are much needed at this time.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you got to see your mom - and it was very decent of that doctor to give you his mobile number. I'm sure it did her the world of good to be able to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I was worried that she would not recognize me. Thank you so much!

      Delete