About Me

Monday, May 4, 2020

Mom Day 45

Thank you all who have commented. I appreciate your well wishes and prayers. They are much needed. Please do take care and be safe!

Mom is still in the ICU and we still cannot see her. Her lungs are not getting any better despite the heroic efforts of her doctors. They have ruled out Covid-19 after three tests. Pneumonia can be deadly for 30% of the elderly and we think, her situation may be just that. Her other organs are under stress now too. The only thing that keeps us sane is that her doctors are not giving up on her. I can see the tests they giver her daily, the meds they try and the CT scans. There is no such thing as a DNR in Turkey and the family is never asked to permit pulling the plug unless the brain is dead. So, everybody is fighting.

My sister says mom is sort of like in limbo trying to decide whether to cross over or stay on our side. The other day she said, not only mom but we all are in limbo too because of not knowing what is gonna happen next.

This is the most painful experience of my life. Normally, one expects her parents to die before oneself but we all thought (wished, hoped) we had at least another good ten years to go with mom. We never expected her to be in the hospital for so long and we surely never thought we would not be able to see her and whisper that we love her into her ear.

Every single day is plain torture. I try to read, watch TV or just surf the Net just to keep my mind from constantly thinking about mom. Then, I feel guilty because I am trying to not think about her. I do not want to talk to any of my freinds because, I am tired of telling them the same exact thing. However, when I do talk to some of them, I feel a bit better. Then I feel guilty again because, I have felt better. I am caught in this terrible vicious cycle.

However, there are other life requirements like paying taxes, getting tyres switched, grocery shopping and etc. So, we deal with them no matter what.

Tomorrow, uncle and I will take our cars to have the winter tyres be switched with regular tyres. We not only use a mask and a pair of gloves but also a face shield when we go out. Many people may think we are overdoing it but, I am obese and I have a high blood pressure problem so, those put me on top of the very vulnerable list. The Government is very keen on getting back to normal because the economy has already tanked. They seem to not care about the death toll. I know they are not being honest about the number of deaths and the sick patients they publish every day. Even if the world goes back to normal, I have a feeling that I will not, at least for another year or two.

Honestly, I would prefer alien invasion over what we are going through right now.

Again, take care and be safe...


23 comments:

  1. I can only imagine what you and your family are going through. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for the best outcome for your mom. I cannot imagine.
    Xoxo
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for your mom and you and your family. I hope you will be able to at least talk to your mom by video calls or phone calls. Take care of yourself. I know your mom wouldn't want you to worry yourself sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers. She is constantly sedated so, there is no way of talking to her.

      Delete
  4. I know I would feel the same, but I cannot imagine what you are going through right now, so glad you went to be with your Uncle at this time. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an ordeal for you all. I can't imagine not being able to be by your mom's side during all this. I'm glad you have your sister and uncle for support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. If I could hold her hand and talk to her even though she is sleeping.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry for you T'pol. Mom is in the hospital here and we can not see her. She can no longer use the phone so we can't even talk to her and all contact is phone only with the dr. and nurse. It is beyond hard and heartbreaking.
    I pray for your and your mom's peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh why? I thought she was at her home being taken care of by caregivers. I am so sorry for you too. Mom is sedated so, we cannot talk to her anyway. I pray for you too.

      Delete
  7. Thoughts and hopes for recovery. Can't imagine not seeing her which makes these times we are in so heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I could have never imagined this.

      Delete
  8. Oh T-Pol, I am so sorry about the situation. It sounds like pure torture every day. Is there anyway that music that is meaningful to your mother could be played in her room to provide some familiar connection to her life/family? These are extrordinary times so since you are not permitted to be there maybe the hospital will consider music therapy as it may provide some comfort. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannt even ask them that. You should hear the doctor on the phone. Poor woman sounds like she is calling from battleground.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  9. Not being able to be at the bedside of loved ones in the hospital has got to be one of the most devastating things about this pandemic. Hoping things take a good turn for your mom very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh T'Pol, how hard it is to be separated from your mum. I'm sorry you're going through this, but I'm glad you are with family and not alone in it all. You are right to take care when out and about. I hope things begin to improve soon for you and your mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending you and your family much love and best wishes for your mom at this dreadful time. Anna

    ReplyDelete