About Me

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Decisions

 Last couple of weeks, I have realized that I have been depressed and I need professional help. 

You may recall that I had been stressed by the part-time gig and that I wanted out. A few unfortunate things occurred and I felt compelled to give my friend some more time to find a proper replacement. However, she did not act on it as fast as I wanted, perhaps due to her workload.

Last week, she was very excited about a new prospect and asked for my help in putting together a proposal. She also sought help of another mutual friend. Well, we helped her put together a proposal and when she suggested the roles she thought we would take, I made it clear that I would not take part in this project. The mutual friend also told her that this was a full-time job and that she would not commit to it. I could sense that my business owner friend was bummed.

First and foremost, she is trying to sell something she does not have: 7 hiring consultants. If she signs an agreement and hires 7 people, that is a huge risk especially if one of her invoices do not get paid on time. It would pose a serious cash flow problem.

So, I suggested her to sell what she actually has: Her experience and her database. She was reluctant at first but apparently, she talked about this with the prospective customer and they loved the idea. Meanwhile our mutual friend called me and I told her about my idea and how it flew with the customer. She laughed and told me, my friend called her as well and talked about it as if it was her own idea and how well it was received. Lol! I am not angry. I don't care as long as I can be out of this a.s.a.p.

As for the positions I am responsible for, it looks like one will be filled by the Customer and that's OK. It has been almost 5 months and they did not like any of the people I have sent them. 

The other may be closed if they finally decide to make an offer to my candidate and if he accepts it.

So, I may be done by the end of this month after all. I also made it very clear that, I will not be taking on new work. She is still trying to convince me that this is a good business. I told her that it may be but, not for me. Can I be more clear? She acts disappointed but, I have told her that I would not hang her out to dry and that she should find somebody else, weeks ago. She should have.

Meanwhile, I have decided to talk to a professional for my anxiety issues and depression. I want to focus on myself and get better. I need to sleep better, eat better, exercise, read and spend time with family. 

Today I did loads of laundry that I had been ignoring for a while and cleaned my kitchen. I also started making my plans for April, May and early June. 


16 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are able to say, "Hey, I need some help. Life is rough right now." That takes courage. Life isn't always easy. We all go through rough patches. But those of us who can also reach out for help can get through it quicker with some professional help, rather than flounder for months/years. I also went through a time that I reached out to my doctor, who then hooked me up with a great therepist. Best time & money you can spend is on yourself, on your mental health. Because if you don't have your mental health, every other aspect of your life suffers.

    Can't believe your friend is still trying to talk you into working. I guess I would say "Listen, I did this as a favor, not because I need to work. I don't need nor want to work!" If she's not getting it by now, you may have to be a bit more forceful with her. She seems to have no problem trying to force you into working - so push back just as forcefully that you are not interested! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymous. I honestly started feeling frustrated by her persistence. You're right. I will push back.

      Delete
  2. I agree with anonymous, on both fronts. Good for you for recognizing you need help, and seeking it out. And, definitely push back on your friend. It may be unintentional, but this is impacting your health & well being, so don't be afraid to be clear on your own limits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was liberating to figure out that I am depressed.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you're able to say you need help too. Wishing you all the best, be gentle with yourself. You have a beautiful and wonderful spirit/personality, I can sense that through your blogs, and taking care of it and yourself is so so so important.

    And I am glad you will hopefully no longer be working soon, but sad that your friend is not taking your firm no for an answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JiCaLu. I actually love to work but, I enjoy operational work where I see results. I am not cut out to be a headhunter.

      Delete
  4. Good for you. Only you know what is best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're feeling strong enough to admit you need some professional help! I've reached out to professionals in the past and would only ever encourage it to someone else who was struggling. Like anything, you need to find the therapist who fits so that you get the most out of it.

    I agree with anonymous about your friend too. Are you able to give your notice, like you would with any other job? Say, a month or six weeks? That way she's forced to find someone new, and you have a solid end date instead of being continuously drawn in.

    Best of luck with both xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you NLA. I made it clear that I am not available for any new projects and that I will be taking off from Istanbul for at least a good two months if not more. I miss my family.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you're feeling strong enough to admit you need some professional help! I've reached out to professionals in the past and would only ever encourage it to someone else who was struggling. Like anything, you need to find the therapist who fits so that you get the most out of it.

    I agree with anonymous about your friend too. Are you able to give your notice, like you would with any other job? Say, a month or six weeks? That way she's forced to find someone new, and you have a solid end date instead of being continuously drawn in.

    Best of luck with both xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it helps see this as a co-dependency issue - as long as she can lean on you and you stay you are enabling her. You can be a good person AND not do that. She may not want to stand alone but you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the different perspective. You're right. This is her business and she must do what is right professionally. It cannot be sustainable by depending on others and creating an emotional thing.

      Delete
  8. Well done for realizing that you need help. And at this point, I think your friend also has to realize that "no" is a complete sentence - and don't back down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wondering how you are doing, since your blog posts aren't as often anymore. I'm sure getting some help will be a good thing and I'm glad you are taking that step. It's hard to say no to friends, especially when they seem to take advantage of knowing you won't say no. I'd just give her a very set date and tell her you are retired now and not interested in doing any more work at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for thinking about me. I need to focus on myself and my family.

      Delete