About Me

Monday, April 24, 2023

Physical

I finally had my physical today after postponing it several times. I went into the hospital at 8:40 a.m. and came out at 2:30 p.m. Ugh!

A nurse weighed me, measured my BP and drew 5 tubes of blood. Then I got an abdominal sonogram, and a chest X-Ray. After these I was given a small cup for pee and a smaller tube for the other thing. Ewwww! I hate to do these in a hospital bathroom. 

Then, they gave me a voucher for breakfast since by the time these were all done, I was famished. After breakfast, I went to see a GP who referred me to an Internist because my bad cholesterol (LDL) is elevated. Of course, the Internist wants to put me on statins. I argued a bit with him because, I honestly don't want to add another med to the stash I am swallowing every day. So, he ordered a couple of tests to check my carotids and something else. Those will have to be done on Sunday. Since some of the tests required a few more days, I will see the doctor who is in charge of the physical on Saturday. I am not happy about this.

I saw a dietician and I will probably work with him to lose some weight and manage my cholesterol. 

I will work on my diet and exercise for three months and then, we shall repeat the cholesterol tests to reach a final decision on the statins.

Then I went to see a cardiologist who gave me an ultrasound himself and who told me everything looked good but, the cholesterol needs to be worked on.

The final doctor I had to see was the most dreaded gynecologist because, the exam hurts me too much. I'd rather go to the dentist (who happens to be a HS buddy of mine). She said all was fine. I have two miomas but she said they were nothing to be worried about. The pap test will come back in a week or 10 days or so.

I then went to the bank to get a document I need for the UK visa application. I want to got to Scotland this summer. After that, I went grocery shopping and by the time I got home, I was totally wiped out. Took of all my clothes put them in the hamper and jumped in the shower for the second time today. Then I found myself sleeping with my bathrobe in my bed.

Such an exhausting day. I am glad most of it is all done.

My physical and my need for regular exercise reminded me of these:


Rest in Peace Olivia Newton John.



6 comments:

  1. Yikes! No wonder you kept putting it off! That's a long day of doctors and tests. I actually stopped taking my statin awhile back. My cholesterol test came back just a bit elevated by my (new) dr said at my age and the level taking a statin wasn't necessary. I'm glad. You might check into taking a supplement for cholesterol called "red yeast rice". When I first got high cholesterol the dr I had at the time had me try that first before statins. It did work for about a year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip about the red yeast rice. I will definitely check it out.

      Delete
  2. That was a VERY thorough exam!!! Maybe a bit of a pain in the butt to do it all, but I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this hospital. It is a private one and almost all the expenses are out of pocket but, it really is very reasonable.

      Delete
  3. You took your courage in 2 hands and did what needed to be done. I wish I’ll do the same. I initially refused to take statin when my doctor suggested it as I always had low cholesterol and taking so many mmedications for BP and diabetes. Last year I started taking a very low dose) because I had a slightly lower HDL. I keep postponing all my tests too. I am scared to see my AC1 Number. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Statins confuse me a lot. I read a lot of negative things about them. Honestly, I did not like this doctor at all. I will find another one.

      Delete