About Me

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Contractors...

I have a problem in my bedroom by the window. Unfortunately, the contractor who changed my window frames did a lousy job and the wall next to the frame has been damaged causing some humidity issue in the wall and the paint.

This year I found a contractor through a good friend. All summer long either the contractor was busy or I was traveling. Ever since we came back to Istanbul, I had been bugging the guy to come and fix the wall. He always had a reason to postpone the repairs and finally, he came on Monday. He brought some stuff and looking at them, I knew something was not quite right. When I inquired further, he seemed to have totally forgotten what he and my friend discussed. I could not call my friend right away because she has moved to the US. So, I just texted my friend hoping that she would see it early enough to intervene. Anyway, the guy and his helper started doing what they were prepared to do but I was totally bummed.

Then I thought of asking the apartment complex' site manager. I am glad I asked him to come over and look at the work. He apparently was familiar with the kind of damage and he told the contractor what type of material needs to be used. Luckily, the contractor listened to him and did the first part of the job. Then the material needed to dry before other isolation material could be applied. So, they left.

Meanwhile my friend saw my text and called me and then called the contractor to find out what he was doing. She also video called me and I showed her what was done. Later in the day, she called me again to say that what he started doing after the site manager's intervention was OK. The repairs would be finished today but alas! It has been raining non-stop. So, may be, he may come tomorrow but, I doubt it. I have to take mom to Ankara on Thursday and run errands for her before I can come back next Tuesday. That leaves me just a week to get this work finished.

At least now that he has started, I am sure he will be wanting to finish and get paid. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I hate dealing with contractors. Little to no customer service and you are lucky if they show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true... I will be glad when it is all over.

      Delete
  2. Wishing you luck. I hate dealing with contractors too, but I do have an excellent handyman so I can often bypass the need for a contractor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Having a good handy man around is a blessing.

      Delete