About Me

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Mom Edition

I came to Ankara on Monday and took mom to the doctor on Tuesday. We ended up seeing a Chest Professor and a Rheumatology Professor. Blood tests, a chest X-Ray and a Tomogrophy later, she has been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and is put on a no-salt diet with a Cortizone Treatment. Initially, they suspected Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and I almost had a heart attack.

Her breathing was terrible and both her hands were very swollen. If I were around, the moment those hands swelled up, she would have found herself at the doctors. My uncle and my sister could not make her go. She is stubborn but I am more so.

Already the swelling is considerably better and she is regaining use of her hands. I just cannot believe why she did not go to the doctor. Her coughing is still bad but, that will take time.

Now she is very unhappy because, she cannot eat salt. She loves all sorts of cheeses and she likes to sprinkle salt on her food. Bummer!

Hopefully, she will soon feel a lot better. Arthritis is a bad auto-immune disease but, that is so much better than the IPF.


6 comments:

  1. Yes, arthritis is definitely better. I am more stubborn than my Mom too, sometimes it is required :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! As people age, they start acting like a child. Adult intervention is a must. Lol!

      Delete
  2. Glad you got her to the doctor! hopefully she will be feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom was a total salt fiend! I think it's a generational thing. Glad to hear she has a better diagnosis. RA is still tough, but it's better than what they originally thought. It's amazing how much a mom can cause you to worry once the rolls start being reversed!

    ReplyDelete