About Me

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Back breaking Cooking

Yesterday, I went grocery shopping. I bought chopped meat and various vegetables. My uncle cooks every day depending on what he feels like havng. I cannot do that. I like to cook larger batches and freeze some. This way, I always have ready to eat food on hand.

Now that mom is on a no salt diet, I decided to cook a bunch of stuff.

I started  at 1 p.m. and finished by 5:15 p.m. My back is killing me. 

I wanted stuffed grape leaves but since they come in a brine, I stuffed Swiss Chard for mom and grape leaves for uncle and me. I also made some meat balls. Cooked leek in olive oil and sauteed chopped meat for some Mexican food for later.

I have processed all the meat I have purchased. I think, I will make navy beans and rice at some point during the week. I still have some celery heads to be cooked with carrots and potatoes. I am in no rush to cook them. They keep well.

Phew! Now I have to clean up the kitchen but, I need to rest a little. I will clean up after dinner or may be uncle will do it. Lol!

No salt diet is very difficult for mom. I marinated some boneless chicken thighs in a cup of tangerine juice and a mixture of lots of cumin, thyme, black pepper and unsalted garlic powder. She liked that very much so, I see myself making that in the future. She asked me where I got the recipe for the marinade. Ummm... Depths of my own brain I guess. I totally winged it and it worked. How can you go wrong with any marinade anyway?

I am going to see some friends this week and am looking forward to it.

4 comments:

  1. I like to have meals in the freezer for busy or just don't feel like cooking days, but I'm not very good about getting them there! Standing for hours like you did is hard on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cook day to day but only because we work from home, I think hubby would go crazy if we didn't have a choice every day (I usually look to see what we have and we decide between two options) Great marinade combo, and yes, anything in a marinade is usually yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of cooking every night either so I usually cook something for the freezer most weekends. hope your mum starts feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to have meals in the freezer for "those" days, but I like to cook so it is relaxation for me.

    ReplyDelete