About Me

Monday, January 27, 2020

Reminders of Fragility

An earthquake hit a town in Eastern Turkey few days ago. 40 people lost their lives and there are many more under the rubble. Many people got severely wounded and a lot of people lost their homes due to severe damage.

Then came the news about Kobe Bryant and his daughter. Such a legend, so young. His daughter Gigi who wanted to carry on her dad's legacy and others who happened to be on the same helicopter...

Last week a young man, my friend's brother passed due to cancer. I have talked about that in a previous post.

Sting's song "Fragile" keeps playing in my mind.




4 comments:

  1. I heard about the earthquake as I have an earthquake app that pings when anything happens within 200km of us or any earthquake in the world over 6.0. It pinged with that earthquake in Turkey and yet the news did not say anything, it is filled far too much with ugly orange man BS. I had no idea so many people died, so very very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the ugly man with the stupid moustache, the British have another ugly man, so do Northern Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, etc. So many of those bad political figures occupy our lives that real stuff goes unnoticed. If only we could pour all our resources into education, health and science...

      Delete
  2. I read about the earthquake - it's just awful. I have actually kept a couple of pictures of similar happenings just to remind me exactly how lucky I am. And as for Sting - wow, you hit the nail on the head. I remember him and another guitar player singing "How fragile we are" at the opening ceremony of the Salt Lake City winter Olympics (I think) just after 9/11 and it was mesmerizing! I'm not a Sting fan but that was just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete