About Me

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

One of the very best weekends!

My sister and BIL came to visit last Friday night. They had asked me not to tell mom because they wanted to surprise mom who is staying with me these days.

They drove all the way from Izmir after work on Friday so, knowing that they would arrive after midnight, I tried to convince mom to watch a movie after midnight but she was sleepy so, she went to bed.

I made sure, my sis and BIL would not ring the door bell and right after they arrived, we all went to bed. Then it struck me: What if mom wakes up and decides to check up on me? Would she be afraid, if she ran into one of "the kids" in the middle of the night when going to the bathroom? Thankfully, none of that happened.

Anyway, I got up and started breakfast and woke my sister and BIL up. They woke mom very gently and boy! was she happy! She loved her suprise.

Since, everybody was tired, we decided to stay at home and just spend time together on Saturday till dinner.

We went to a fancy fish restaurant that both of the kids love and had a very good time. After I paid the bill, I went to get the car from the valet service and started waiting for my family to get in the car. Minutes passed and there was noone coming. It kinda felt like the Twilight Zone. They were right behind me! Where are they now? I called my sister and my brother and they did not answer! What?! I was about to leave the car to look for them when they finally arrived.

Apparently as they were walking out, they have seen a famous newspaper article writer whom we all like but whom my mom absolutely loves! He is a very smart man, with an incredible archive. He writes politics and he is an opponent to the current Government just like we are. So, they stopped to say hello and he came around, gave mom a hug and posed for several pictures. Bummer! I missed that.

Mom was ecstatic! She kept saying "what a wonderful day this was".  The next day, we had breakfast at home again. My BIL loves pancakes so, I made some and he had his first taste of Maple Syrup. Magically, he liked it! Members of my family have very conservative taste buds unlike mine. I tried to give him one of the unopened bottles I brought back from the US but, he did not want to take it.

It was a great weekend overall.

8 comments:

  1. Well, that sounded like a successful surprise and a great weekend, especially for your mother. Did the rest of your family like the maple syrup? Maybe that would make a good Christmas gift for him. Well, for whatever gift-giving occasion you have. I have a recipe today that calls for maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom and sis did not like it very much. It is grossly expensive and hard to find here in Turkey. I always buy a couple of bottles each time I visit the US.

      Delete
    2. I suppose it is best we don't all like the same thing. Was it too sweet for them? What brand did you buy? Did you know you can tap other trees for syrup? I just learned that a few years ago and now I want to tap a tree.

      Delete
    3. Yes Linda. They thought it was too sweet and too runny. It was the organic maple syrup from Maple Grove Farms in Vermont. I truly did not know if we could tap other trees!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely surprise for your mom and a boss for her meeting the journalist that she loves! Sounds like a wonderful visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She still cannot get over it. So much fun!

      Delete
  3. what a nice way to surprise your mom! Sounds like a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad she did not wake up at night and get scared :) They basically sneaked in.

      Delete