About Me

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Purse, Handbag, Pocketbook Whatever

For a person who is not a native English speaker, it is sometimes hard to choose some of the words while writing. I am sure that's not a problem for any native speaker of the language because, they will use their own words. I started learning English with a British method and British books (Longman) when I was 11. Then I went to College which was founded by Americans where the course material was from the US by American writers. When I worked for a multinational in NY, I was exposed to a good deal of New York, Brooklyn (yeah that's different) and Boston accents thanks to my colleagues. Would you believe I was once called a "Damn Yankee" when I was traveling in the Southern US? (I turned around and cursed in Turkish. Haha!)

Anyhow, whatever you call that thing that mostly women carry around all the time starts to weigh a ton, I am sure you all know, it is time to empty the whole thing and organize.

I emptied the contents of my purse (I usually use this word) and as always could not believe how much junk found it's way into it.

I cleaned the whole thing inside out with wet wipes and got rid of the junk and now I feel better.

Also, I took out my warmer sweaters because it is freezing these days. It actually snowed a little last night. Yay! We need more snow for sure. 

Cooking in bulk and freezing a few dishes help a lot. No cooking this week. I may need a few fresh veggies by the end of the week.

Lately I found this YouTuber, Nicole She has figured out the important things in life fairly early and I agree with pretty much everything she says. If you have time, check her out. She is crazy cool.

Upstairs neighbors must have visitors again tonight. They are usually very quiet but, when the TV is blasting away, I know they have visitors with, I guess, severe hearing problems.

Since we have talked about accents, here is a favorite scene which I may have shared before.


11 comments:

  1. I think it's kind of regional here is the US whether it's called purse, handbag, or pocketbook. Northwest is purse, LOL. That's a funny video clip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine Bracco is an all tiem favorite of mine. Love the accent.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for that funny Video from some of the cast of the sopranos. Well, I didn’t learn English until I came to US at the age of 28. All my studies were done in French. I also took some Italian and Russian as a second or third language which I can barely remember after so many years of not using. I loved reading, so when I finished all the French books that I brought with me, I had no choice but to turn to books in English. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning a foreign language and being fluent in it is a lot of hard work. I personally think, French must be harder than English. I know, German is harder because, I did study German too. I can still speak a bit and understand most things but, I cannot imagine being fluent.

      Delete
  3. In Southern Ontario we call it a purse. My grandmother who was from upstate NY used to call it a pocketbook :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was home in England for my dad's funeral I must have done an awkward movement and messed my neck up. My sister got me an emergency appointment with a chiropractor since we were driving back to France the next day. The first thing he did has pick up my handbag to feel the weight - and then just stared at me! I told him everything in there was absolutely necessary (but secretly I knew he had a point)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guilty as charged. I am using backpacks for the last few years. They are better even when heavy.

      Delete
  5. Haha, purse or handbag will do! I only carry a fannypack now :/ I would put too much in the purse!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a natural fannypack around my belly full of fat unfortunately.

      Delete