About Me

Monday, January 30, 2023

Monday Monday

The savory oatmeal bake was a success. It is very tasty. However, next time I might use another egg or  use a large egg. What I have is medium eggs at this time.

Today, I decided to run my stick vacuum through the apartment. If I do this, every two or three days, I can keep my apartment dust free between cleaning lady visits. I keep clean surfaces now that I have decluttered significantly so, dusting is a breeze. A quick run around the apartment with a microfiber cloth does the job in about 10 minutes.

In the past, I loved to display all sorts of knick knacks. Now, no more. Clean and clear surfaces are so much easier to maintain and gives me peace.

My lentil sprouting experiment was a success. I think, I will be sprouting them fairly regularly from now on.

My sourdough starter experiement was a bust and I also did not like the idea of discarding significant amounts of it. Such a waste. (Edit: I found out that the discards could actually be used but, I don't want to bake so much). So, I found another recipe with no discards.



I am now trying this one and so far, it seems to be going well.  I am hoping to bake my first loaf sometime this week. Jack is funny and cute. He seems to have mastered bread making. 

For the next three or four days or so, I do not need to worry about cooking. This means my kitchen will stay neat for a while.

Here is a frugal win: Despite the fact that Istanbul's tap water is supposedly potable, I get water delivered and I used to boil pasta and veggies, cook, make coffee and tea, with this delivered water. I usually get two 5 gallon/19 liters bottle every week. I decided to purchase a Brita water pitcher. Yes, there is an upfront cost and there are the filters one needs to purchase but, still when I did the math, it made a lot of sense. So, now I am drinking the water that I purchase and using the filtered water for all other purposes. 

Wishing everyone a great week! Here is one of my favorite oldies:


6 comments:

  1. Well done on the cleaning, and the lentil sprouting. I managed to get the house cleaned yesterday, which always feels nice. I did, however, then proceed to cook dinner, & mess up the kitchen. But, I hate cleaning in the evening, so doing it in reverse wasn't an option I would consider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking is messy especially when I am the chef. I keep piling things in the sink. Nowadays, I am puting in the genuine effort to clean as I go and it makes a difference.

      Delete
  2. I used to like to display knick-knacks and ornaments, but you're right, they're just dust catchers really. And isn't it so much easier to clean without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dusting was my second most dreaded chore after ironing but, now, it is so easy. I think, as we age, we grow out of things that used to matter to us. Nowadays, I am all for simplicity.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I would if I could. The sourdough starter is still looking poor possibly due to the fact that it is colder than usual at home. I have central heating and 70-73 F, 22-23 C is fine for me but the starter likes it warmer I guess.

      Delete