About Me

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Happy Birthday Dad!

My dad passed away in 1994. He would have turned 83 today. Such a long time...

He was a worrywart and I think that's why he died so young. A ruptured aorta took him away within a matter of 8 hours. He was always worried about his brother's alcoholism, my grandma becoming old and frail (she outlived him by 7 years) and my sister and I, how our lives will turn out and etc. I guess the only person he did not worry about was Mom. She was always the rock.

I put some bed linens that I have brought from mom's last time I was in Ankara and I realized they were ironed. She must have ironed them and put them away because none of us iron bed sheets. The kinda smelt like her or so I thought. I had a good cry. I still feel blue today.

I threw myself into some tasks to shake the feeling.

I cleaned my medicine drawer. here are the before and after pictures:



Then I decided to bake a bread. Bobbie had suggested this website: Jenny Can Cook for a No Knead Bread. Never made that bread but, today I made this Honey Wheat Bread and the Homemade Tortillas.

The Honey Wheat Bread turned out to be awesome! It is so tasty. Back in 1996, I went to Killington, VT and there was a restaurant called The Grist Mill which no longer exists. They had served this wonderful bread with my dinner and I asked the waitress what it was because it was so good. She told me it was their honey braid bread and brought me another roll wrapped in a napkin to take home for breakfast the next day. Such a nice gesture. This bread reminded me of that bread I had at The Grist Mill.

I need to practice more for the tortillas. I am not an expert on rolling dough. They were a bit shapeless and thicker than they should be but, tasted fine. 

There are a bunch of breads that I want to try from this site. Thank you Bobbie for recommending it.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry about your dad and Mom passing so young, bleep their soul. My father who coincidently was born on January 15 1910 died in 1970 at the age of 60. He was hit by a drunk driver. I was not even 14 yet. My mother died in 2016 and she was 90 years old. There was almost a 20 years gap between her and my Father. She had Alzheimer’s for the last 3 years of her life and we were relieved she didn’t suffer too much. My father was in a good health and the opposite of your father. He didn’t worry at all which made my mother go crazy sometimes. I am going to try that bread recipe. My cousin and her husband are visiting from Canada and i made for the first time the Turkish Brioche ( Acma.) for breakfast. They were really good but I did reduce the sugar. Big Hugs and sending good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Farah. I am so sorry for you have lost your dad so early. I love Acma but try to stay away from it. You might have noticed how much sugar and butter goes into it. It is a once in a while treat for me.

      Delete
  2. Any homemade bread is good bread! I'll have to try the honey wheat bread. Have you ever made honey butter to put on bread? Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday dad! And I get what you mean about those linens - they would upset me too!

    ReplyDelete