About Me

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Yogurt, Bread and Sprouts

I have been contemplating about making my own yogurt, baking a few loaves of bread at a time to freeze and grow some sprouts. I made the first two but, never grew sprouts before.

I can get raw milk, and make my own yogurt like grandma used to do. I boil the milk on low heat for a long while stirring frequently. I like to mix 2 parts cow's milk and 1 part buffalo milk for a rich creamy yogurt. I use a small container of organic yogurt as a starter. This probably does not save me any money but, I like to do it. Sometimes the yogurt does not turn out to be great. In that case, I turn it into cheese. It's never wasted.

I want to control the ingredients of my bread. I still need to make the bread Bobbie recommended. Didn't have time to do it while I had a house guest.

I came across some videos about growing sprouts and micro greens and it looks like fun. They are supposed to be very nutritious. The best thing is that they do not need sun. I can grow them in my balcony. I think, I will start with lentils because I already have green lentils on hand.

Does anybody grow sprouts at home?

I tried making kimchi. It turned out fine. I think. However, I do not like it. So, for gut health, I would rather drink kefir and eat probiotic yogurt. I've decided fermented veggies are not my thing. Good to know my palate. I will try not to waste the kimchi. I will rinse small portions of it and add to my stir fried veggie dishes whenever I make them. 

As much as I love my uncle, being around him makes me eat in a very unhealthy manner. He normally does not eat like that when he is alone and nor do I. When he is with company, every day becomes a feasting day for him. So, I am glad, he is leaving on Monday and I promised myself to eat only healthy things and in moderation till I go to visit him in May. 

Also, I am used to living alone so much that, I miss having my apartment to myself. It has almost been over a month since we co-habited at first in Ankara and then in Istanbul. Not that he is a difficult guest but a guest nonetheless. He is also missing his apartment and his toys back home along with warm weather in Antalya. To give you an idea, right now, it is 1℃ in Ankara, 8℃ in Istanbul and 14℃ in Antalya where he lives.

Hoping that you are all having a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. As much as you enjoy someone's company, I think everyone is relieved when they get back to their own routine. I know I am! And I was making my own yoghurt (using a yoghurt maker) for a while but I found the yoghurt to be a bit boring so went back to buying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Today uncle was tellng me he misses his home. Mom used to make fresh yogurt every day when my SIS was an infant. I make it the conventional way, bundling up the container with lots of towels.

      Delete