About Me

Monday, June 19, 2023

Pantry and Freezer Challenge

I have decided to do a pantry and freezer challenge this month. I have 37 days to go before my mini vacation in Edinburgh. I do not know if I can stretch the stuff in my freezer till then but, my pantry is well stocked.

I will only buy fresh produce and eggs till everything from my freezer is eaten up.

I enjoyed my vegetarian day so much yesterday and ended up with quiet a bit of leftovers that, I decided to postpone the salmon and have another vegetarian day today. I have some peppers, zucchini and tomatoes that I need to use up. I will sautee them as soon as I post this.

The weather is still cool therefore, I am thinking of making a chili later this week. I do not add sour cream (very hard to find in this country) or cheese (to make it less caloric) to my chili but, I think, it is tasty enough all by itself. 

I am not a big fruit eater but, I did buy one of those small watermelons and 2 pounds of sweet cherries last week. The watermelon looks great and tastes more like cucumber. Bummer!

The tart cherries are not out yet but, as soon as they come out, I want to freeze a significant amount because they help lowering my uric acid level. Another good reason to empty the freezer. I can buy them frozen but the price on frozen tart cherries is ridiculuous. I'd rather freeze enough for a few months at least. If I had space for an extra freezer, I would certanly freeze a year's worth.

It's pouring outside so, I'm going to need to walk on the treadmill.


7 comments:

  1. I think you can definitely get your freezer empty before your trip. I love cherries, but they are so expensive now. I hope to grab some when they are on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a good feeling about emptying the freezer too. There are mostly chicken and fish in it right now.

      Delete
  2. Good luck on the challenge. Since on this eating(or not eating)plan little leaves my freezer. lol If you are concerned about Uric Acid stay away from mushrooms. My oldest brother had gout and he had to not eat them and chugged tart cherry juicel ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sluggy. I love mushrooms but, I can certainly stay away from them.

      Delete
  3. I'd never thought about freezing cherries - hmm, I'll have to give that a go! Mind you, with the price of cherries right now I may have to sell a kidney first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My freezer also needs a good clean out, so I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to empty my freezer as well before moving. I really dislike throwing food.

    ReplyDelete