About Me

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Mini Vacation and Home, Sweet Home

My dad's cousin F invited me over to her older sister's little farm. I was reluctant to go at first because the farm is in this little town where our summer house used to be. Mom loved it and she always regretted selling the summer home. Besides, during our last trip with her, we had stopped by the town and she had told me I had made her very happy because she missed the place so much. So, yeah. I wasn't sure whether I should go but I caved and went. I spent 6 days there.

I had a good time. The place is like a botanical garden. All sorts of flowers and trees. And bugs. I had a lovely time enjoying the beautiful flowers and the bugs had wonderful meals off of me. 

I picked cucumbers, peppers, raspberries for our meals. F's sister S gave me zucchinis, eggs and a ton of fresh grape leaves. I do not know how to brine the grape leaves but, she told me to just blanch about a dozen at a time and roll them up and then freeze. I processed them yesterday and I think, I have enough grape leaves to last me all winter. I stuffed some of the larger ones with a rice mixture and they were divine.

We had a family dinner with their brother E and his wife. Those three siblings can't get along with each other. It was tense but, I guess they behaved themselves in my presence. They are in their 60's and 70's! I am so glad I have a good relationship with my SIS. 

I am also glad to be back home. Having used to living alone, I need my space, lots of space. I have been doing laundry since yesterday. I am on my 5th load and there are 2 more to go. 

Tonight's dinner is chicken and salad. I am trying to use up all the meat products in my freezer before I purchase any more. 

I need to buy coffee, dried mint leaves and Vitamin D and some fresh veggies on Monday. I should check my spices. I may be running out of cumin too.


10 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good trip!
    Like you I am so happy I have a wonderful relationship with my sister. I am also happy my sons have great relationships with each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very competitive for whatever reason. All had been really smart and had great careers. I think, it is sad.

      Delete
  2. Sounds lovely! And, I'm with you - so grateful I have a good relationship with my sister. It's such an important and meaningful part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I don't know why but, they are very competitive.

      Delete
  3. That place sounds just wonderful. I know I would be in heaven exploring all those flowers and can see why your mom might love it so much - well all except the insects/bugs, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing. I should have used a bug spray but, stupidly I didn't.

      Delete
  4. No matter where I go, after a certain time, I am always antsy to go back home. Hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hugs. Yes, coming back home feels so good.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back, I am glad you enjoyed your time away and are now home safely!

    ReplyDelete