About Me

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Storks... For Bobbie

Bobbie commented about not having seen storks flying. I guess if you're living in the American Continent, it is very difficult to see storks. A quick Internet search told me that there is only one kind of stork in America and it is called the wood stork and that bird hangs out in Georgia, South and North Carolina.

In our case, here is the migratory route of our storks. The blue oval is Turkiye (or Turkey) and the navy triangle is where I usually hang out. So, you see I am right on their way. It is hard to miss them during Spring and Fall.



And here is a fun fact about one particular stork who has befriended a fisherman and who has her/his? own Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaren_(stork)

Yaren means buddy/comrade/friend in Turkish. This is the 11th year Yaren came to visit Fisherman Adem. He named his little boat after Yaren. Here is a picture: 



5 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Are storks loud? We do have geese that migrate like your storks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not loud. They click and clack when looking for food.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen a stork flying or on the ground, except at a zoo. It must be cool to see so many flying at one time. BTW I hope you do get to have lots of travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the only stork I have seen are in cartoons, LOL. I love the Yaren story

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely story about Yaren!

    ReplyDelete