About Me

Monday, July 24, 2023

Edinburgh Part 1

 I arrived in Edinburgh yesterday. My flight was delayed for an hour but, it was not so bad. Took the tram to Princes Street stop and walked to my hotel in 10 minutes. Honestly, I walked longer at the Istanbul Airport which is monstrously big. I was exhausted by the time I reached my gate.

After checking in, I took a short shower and walked to a nearby pub for dinner. 

I got in bed around 8:30 and watched some TV. I do not know when I fell asleep but, I haven't slept so well, may be in the last 5 years.

I bought a 48 hour Hop-on Hop-off tour ticket and rode on all three buses. I visited the Royal Yacht Britannia. If you have watched The Crown, you may remember how upset the late Queen was when Britannia had to be decommisioned. I must say, I would be upset too. It is an elegant boat with humble furnishings. Has a cottage like feel. There were luxury things too of course but, I guess nothing beats taking your Rolls Royce and Land Rover with you on the boat. 

Tomorrow I will visit some museums and Royal Botanical Gardens on my sightseeing tour routes. Luckily it did not rain today but, I can't be sure about tomorrow. Let's hope, it will be a good day. After the heat wave in Istanbul, the cool weather felt good. I wore a sweater and a light winter jacket. Early in the morning, I wished I had packed a scarf and even a pair of gloves. Lol!

Here are some pictures from today: 






Top picture is the Castle of Edinburgh. The Rolls is one that has been on the Britannia. Bottom picture is the late Queen's bedroom on Britannia.


20 comments:

  1. Hey! I was there in June! Well I didn't attempt the climb to the back of the castle to get in, but Hubs did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I am not going to the castle or Arthur's Seat. My left knee is not happy with me being so overweight. Love it here. So pretty.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I wouldn't mind "slumming it" on the royal yacht. It looks lovely. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pictures! Perfect location for a trip as it’s hell everywhere else. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. We were there almost 20 years ago and really enjoyed the same sights you are seeing. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're doing a great job preserving the old buildings. Lovely place really.

      Delete
  5. Have a wonderful trip. I am like Treaders and would not mind a night or tow on the yacht.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the hop on off buses anywhere. Did you do a tour or kind of on your own? I’m tempted to do a solo trip there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my own. I'm not a fan of tours. Do visit here you will love it.

      Delete
    2. Jre now I’m really thinks my about it. How are you doing your tour route? Bus/train? Rental car? I’ve really thought of Scotland too. About 4 years ago my daughter and I went to Ireland, we did a Groupon really reasonable getting into Shannon included a car and B&B for each night in designated towns for 7 days and we last stayed in an flew out of Dublin. It was amazing!!!! She was 30 drove amazingly! I don’t think I could? Drive on the “wrong” side ha!

      Delete
    3. JRE, I will write a full post about it.

      Delete
  7. So fun! My dd will be there in September. My great grandparents were from Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how nice to get away! Have a lovely time. Olivia in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete