About Me

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Storks, Travel and a Personal Dilemma

I do not know if this is a thing in any other culture but here in my country, they say, if you see a flying stork or a flock of them flying, then, you will travel a lot during that year. I know, believing such a thing is kind of stupid but, I swear it works for me. May be just because I already like to travel. Lol!

Anyhow, I saw flocks and flocks of storks this year and now a couple of people are trying to talk me into long vacations in the UK and in the US respectively. A month or more in each case. I do not think either of them is sensible when our currency is now so much weaker than anytime before. 

I have missed my beach vacation early this year so, I want to go stay with my uncle which is a very economical vacation.

2 weeks in London may be something I wanna do but, I am very hesitant about a whole month in the US early 2024. I see no value in it. She wants to go to Florida in February and I can go to my friend M's later on but, how much fun can it be in March in NY State? 

So, I must gently let down this person and also, hide the London trip from her. I am still contemplating about what to do. 

Any ideas about how I can handle this situation?




8 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen flying storks!

    Can you tell your friend that you already have the trip to London planned (but not finalized), and it's just not in your budget right now to spend a month in the United States?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is family and in her 70's. She thinks this will be her last hurrah in the US so, I kinda feel I should. Will crunch the numbers.

      Delete
  2. Man, that is the worst! But I think honestly saying you have prior travel commitments and due to being retired etc, you really have to watch your budget and therefore the trip is not going to work for you. I love NYC but March will be cooler, so you may not be inclined to be out and about. The London area for a couple weeks sounds way more feasible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will crunch the numbers. She is family and is getting old to do this by herself. I will crunch the numbers a bit.

      Delete
    2. Aw, I see where you're coming from. I hope you can find a solution that works for you and her. You're a real sweetheart.

      Delete
  3. And here's me thinking a stork signifies a new baby! Let's hope not in my case eh, but you might be right as I'm off to Mallorca in September and just booked Thailand for February. For me personally I wouldn't want to spend a month anywhere. A couple of weeks is my max, and after that I'm happy to come home. I've had my fill, gotten a pick-up and my batteries are recharged (lots of metaphors eh). And you're probably right about it not being a good time right now, what with the state of the lira, so I would play on that a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, still contemplating. I will share the updates.

      Delete
  4. I have been in NYC in March and it is definitely not my favorite time to go!

    ReplyDelete