About Me

Saturday, September 2, 2023

Missing in Action

I have been MIA lately. I got busy and really did not have to write much about. Hope, everybody is doing fine. I need to catch up on reading my favorite blogs.

I do not know what happened to August but, September is here, the weather is somewhat milder and this is the beginning of my favorite season.

Next Sunday, I am going on vacation with a very old friend, the one with whom I had a month long vacation 2 years ago. This time it will be a lot shorter. After that, I will go see my uncle and hit the beach down in Antalya for a few weeks.

We are going to an island Gokceada (Imbros) for 5 days. It is located in Northern Aegean Sea. 

On Sunday September 10th, we shall drive to Gelibolu (Gallipoli) and stay there for one night. Early in the morning on Monday, we will get on the ferry to Gokceada. 

That whole area has great historical significance for us, the Turks. Some events led to the fall of the Ottoman Empire and birth of the Republic of Turkiye. 

On the way back from the island, we may decide to stay in the area for a couple of days but, we have not planned that yet.

Here is a map of our drive to Gelibolu, I have highlighted the border with Greece in red.




9 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful vacation! We're having such perfect weather here in Connecticut - high 70's during the day and low 60's at night. Perfect blue skies, too. We'll keep our pool open for the month of September, but since our heater is on the fritz the water temperature is dropping (we do keep a solar cover on it). Once it gets below 75 I'm a baby about getting in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You have my kind of weather over there. I have lived in Stamford, CT in 1990 for a whole year before I moved to Hartsdale, NY. Fall in New England is my favorite. Enjoy your beautiful foliage.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful vacation! I'm off next week to Mallorca so catch you when I get back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bon Voyage! Never been to Mallorca. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

      Delete
  3. We missed you. Enjoy you trip with your friend. Is that the Greek border where they had a lot of fires recently? Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Some of the fires were close to the border and some were closer to Athens. I heard, they have arrested some arsonists.

      Delete
  4. It's so nice to hear from you! We are talking about a family trip to Turkey next year -a few days in Istanbul, & then Antalya. Would love to hear about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! The best time to go to Antalya is June or September-October. July and August are brutally hot. Even the sea is too warm to enjoy it. I would recommend at least 3 full days in Istanbul. There is so much to see and do. I would love to meet you and your family in person if you do come.

      Delete
  5. Good to see a new post. I hope you have a wonderful trip

    ReplyDelete