About Me

Monday, November 13, 2017

Life Style Inflation

A friend of mine just got a raise recently. Apparently some people at her job left for a competing company and in order to prevent her from leaving too, her bosses upped her salary. Talk about manageral skills. Whatever... She had been waiting for a raise for a long time so, she was very excited.

On Sunday, over coffee, she told me how she was planning to put her money to "good use". She is planning to go to the hair salon every two weeks instead of once a month now because she is "oh so tired about not being able to look her best. It would be great if she could go on a weekly basis". She also has been dreaming about adding new pieces to her wardrobe. (Before the sale season? No way in my book!)

I asked her if she did not have the raise, would she be looking for a better paying job. She said no. She feels comfortable where she is and she thinks the people who left are in for a rude awakening once they settle in their new firm.

I asked her what her future plans are with the extra money. She laughed and said "What? spend it of course!" I told her wouldn't it be better if she used at least part of it to increase her savings. After all, if the recent changes weren't made, she would be getting her old salary anyway. Then she told me she did not have a savings account.

Wait a minute!

This woman is 42 years old and she has no savings in her name whatsoever. Every month, she is taking some money off her salary and giving the rest to her husband which is a constant cause of friction between them. She has no idea if he is spending all their money, investing or saving or whatever. Totally clueless! I hope their marriage last till death do them part. Oh boy!

It is not my business to teach or preach people about how to use their money and this friend is especially a person I would not try convincing on anything. I just made a casual comment that I like to have a savings account and ended the subject there.




2 comments:

  1. I don't think some people ever "get it".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to say that even though I'm not one to tell anyone what to do with their money, at least I only have myself to blame for what I do or do not have. I don't have great savings, but I do have some, and it would pain me to give part of my salary to someone I was married to unless that was for some kind of joint gain (with proof!). Does her husband work? Why is he asking for her money and more importantly, why is she handing it over to him and not asking exactly where it's going? But, as you say, not my business. xx

    ReplyDelete