About Me

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Dad

I lost my dad way back in 1994 when he was only 54 and I was just 27.

It was an unexpected death due to an aortic aneurism. It was a Sunday in February. I was just up from the bed when my mom told me something was wrong with him. I called the ambulance and we took him to the Emergency Room at a large university hospital around 10 a.m. and by 5 p.m. he was gone.

He had lost his dad as a child at the age of 9. Having lived through that loss, he wanted to be a great dad.

He was an agricultural engineer with a PhD on plant protection.

He was a very loving father, a true family man and he sacrificed a career just to make sure both my sister and I receive the education he wanted us to get. We were good students and made him proud.

He had a great sense of humor which could be annoying at times. His worst habit was that he worried too much and was a born pessimist. I may be like that at times but, not as much as he was. He loved reading and learning about new things. In that respect, I have taken after him too.

We had our differences growing up especially when I was a teenager but, mom always managed us both. She was and still is the boss.

I cannot imagine having someone else as a father. I loved him very much and still miss him. Not a day goes by that I do not think about him or remember something funny he might have said.

I hope, you are resting in Peace Dad! Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

  1. That's a very sweet tribute to your dad. And how sad to lose him so suddenly! Those of us who had good father's were really lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Having a good set of parents is a true blessing.

      Delete
  2. I did not have a good father! But, my mother made up for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely tribute to your dad! He sounds like the kind of dad everyone should have, and sadly isn't lucky enough to have. I didn't have a lot of time with my dad and feel I really missed out. xx

    ReplyDelete