About Me

Sunday, September 25, 2022

This and That

I had a house guest last week. So, the week was filled with a ton of activities. On Thursday we got together with two College mates. One lives in the US. She is originally from Pakistan. It had been 32 years since I had seen her but, we found tons to talk about. We met around 3 p.m. and by the time we said goodbye, it was 9 p.m. My friend left on Friday.

After dropping her off at the train station, I went to a farmers market and bought some tomatoes and eggplants. I have run the tomatoes through my food processor and froze them. I had bought 6 big eggplants and halved them. I brushed them with olive oil and baked them. I am going to stuff them with sauteed chopped meat and freeze them for easy meals in winter. I hope, I can fit everything. My small freezer section is almost full. That is all my prepping for the winter.

I washed all the bed linens and put the guest room back in order.

I found some frozen cheese in the freezer and since I wanted to make room, I baked a pizza for dinner. I love my homemade version better than all the commercial pizzas. There is some leftover for tomorrow or the next day.

I also have tons of salad fixings I need to use up and lots of frozen chicken I had roasted the week before. So, this week's meal plan is "use what you have, don't let anything go bad".

Today I walked to the nearest grocery store since I was running out of salt, red pepper flakes, bread and milk. I could smell the Fall in the air and the low temperatures make it very pleasant these days after several weeks of scorching hot weather.

Wishing everyone a nice week.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Tpol,welcome back. I missed reading your blog. I can’t wait to read all about your trip to the USA. As for the pizza, I prefer mine too. It has to have beside tomatoes, peppers, and anchovies.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up with old friends is good when you can just pick up easily after years apart. The bands you saw in the US would have been good, ( except for the Queen one) all the music of my teen years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eggplant dish sounds very interesting. Curious how you season the meat? - Juhli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sautee the chopped meat with chopped onions, salt and pepper. It is really basic. When I am ready, I pull the stuffed eggplants from the freezer, place a couple of slices of tomatoes on top, add some water mixed with tomato paste or sauce and simmer till, it is heated up well. You may heat it up in the oven as well covered with aluminum foil. I usually serve this with rice.

      Delete
  4. It's a real pain when you feel like cooking for the freezer and don't have enough room, isn't it!!! I need to empty out my freezers and get them reorganized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to fit all at one point. Luckily I did. I must work on using some of the huge veggie bag I have in there. Good luck with your freezer!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like an enjoyable week. My dh says my homemade pizza is better than anywhere else he's had one. He keeps saying I need to start a pizza business. I laughed and said well then they are only going to be able to order one kind, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make a cheese only pizza but lately, I have added pepperoni and some veggies such as peppers and mushrooms.

      Delete