About Me

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Feelings Associated with Certain Times of the Year

When I was a kid, we celebrated the New Year by decorating our home (no tree though, Dad didn't approve because we were not Christian) and exchanging gifts. Mom would cook special dishes and we always had chocolate cake right at midnight.  Early December, I remember being excited with anticipation of the coming New Year, gifts and family time. January 1st, has always been a bittersweet day for me because, well what is left to look forward to now? 

And then, one day, sometimes even as early as March, I would go outside and smell a difference in the air, feel some warmth and I would be filled with joy for the arrival of Spring. I would start looking forward to ditching the bulky clothes and spending more time outside. Once Spring rolled around and my allergies started bothering me, all I could look for was Summer Break which meant going somewhere by the sea or to my Grands on my Mom's side or both. That was the best! Spending time at Grandparents and going to the seaside was just awesome.

Once, August appeared on the horizon, I would be ready to go back to school and see my friends again.  The first days of school were always exciting and interesting with meeting new teachers. We would try to find out about them from other students who knew them and would talk about what would be the hardest subject that year. Two weeks into the school year, things used to become routine.

Then one day possibly in early October, I would just go outside and again smell the change in the air and be excited that Fall was on it's way. Fall has always been my favorite season. I remember walking in Kizilay, one of the longest avenues of Ankara during a Fall afternoon smelling wet fallen leaves after a short rain shower. I can still feel that experience

We celebrated birthdays but, never made a big deal out of them. Usually practical gifts and cake. Sometimes, a small number of close friends too.

There were and still are two religious holidays celebrated nationwide but, honestly I really did not care for them. Their dates change every year due to the lunar calendar. Mom would always buy us new shoes and outfits before those holidays and some kids would be so looking forward to that but, I have never cared for clothing items much. During those 3-4 day religious holidays, we would get together with the family, eat way too much and visit other family members but, when you are a child and when they make you run around fetching things and setting the table, serving the visitors and helping the adults, it is not much fun. Is it? Now that I do not believe in or practice any religion, those days are just vacation days. Besides, my family is very small these days.

We also have secular National holidays (April 23rd, May 19th, August 30th and October 29th) to celebrate and I love them but, they are usually just a day ,unless they come right before or after a weekend. 

One day, in 1989, I found myself all grown up and changing my first job. I would be starting my new job on January 2nd and they would be sending me to New York for 6 months (turned out to be three years and a half) in March. That year I did not have the January 1st blues, trust me.

I started my new job on January 2nd and as soon as I walked in, they turned me around and put me in a company car with a driver to go apply for my US visa. When I asked what was the rush, they told me I would be flying to NYC that coming Sunday, January 7th. What? It was supposed to be March. I called my Dad and he was tongue tied. I then called my Mom. She was as cool as a cucumber as they say and she told me she would take a day off to do some shopping for me and start packing my suitcase. What happened that week is a post in itself but, let's skip that for now.

When I spent over three years in the US, I fell in love with all the events and holidays such as St. Patrick's, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas (not a fan of Valentine's Day. Lol!) Even though, I am living in my own country for almost 30 years now, I still get filled with joy during the Holidays and there are so many milestones in a given year making me feel this way.

Some can argue that the holidays in the US are a symbol of consumerism but, I do not care.  I love how people are so happy and willing to decorate for every occassion and celebrate. Starting with Halloween, it is such a festive and happy time. As I type these, Christmas Music is playing in the background and I am kicking myself for forgetting to buy some hot chocolate mix. 

I am so in the mood for the Holidays. Uncle and I will be joining my SIS and BIL for the New Year and will spend some time together. 

To me, it is all about having a good time either with family or friends because, I do not remember most of the gifts I have been given but, I always do fondly remember how I felt on a certain occasion. 


6 comments:

  1. For me, the holidays are all about family time & memories. Childhood memories of family time together, special meals, cozy evenings & decorations & always the anticipation. Now that the kids are older, the holiday has evolved a bit, but we are still focused on the time together. They will get a few gifts, and we will then all ski together after Christmas, hopefully building lots of fabulous memories together.

    Hope you have a wonderful time with your uncle, SIL & BIL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish you and yours a wonderful time too. I love skiing but, it has been a very long time since I gave it up. Hit a couple of slopes for me too, please!

      Delete
  2. When I was reading the book on wintering the author quoted a modern-day Druid who said that they used to break the year up into (pretty much) six sets of eight weeks and there was always something to look forward to - a festival, a change in season, and so on. It made a lot of sense to me. My favourite season is still spring though as it just seems to fill the air with "possibility". And lucky you, living 3 years in NYC. I don't think I would want to live there permanently but a time-limited stay sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived half an hour North of the City but, it was so much fun going downtown every week. NYC is my favorite place in the world. 4 of us wanted to live in Manhattan but, our management thought we were crazy so, they did not let us.

      Delete
  3. Those are some great memories you shared (well, other than the allergies, LOL). Christmas, as a child, is always a magical time. And then you learn (usually from an older kid) that Santa is not real. But we get over it and over the years it holds many special memories with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas is such a great time. I have spent many Christmases with American friends and have always enjoyed it.

      Delete