About Me

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Cats!

 I am not talking about the musical but, I have seen it on Broadway twice actually.

For 50 years I had ailurophobia to the point that eating a meal out with me in the summer would be a nightmare for mom and sis. As most other nations do not have so many stray cats and dogs roaming the streets, it might be difficult for most of my readers to understand. People like cats and they feed them on the streets. Real pet lovers do of course have animals at home but, they also feed the strays. My sister carries cat and dog food in her trunk. 

The municipalities try to collect the stray animals and have them neutered but, it is a job fit for Sisyphus.

Anyhow, at my last workplace few weeks before I left it, I actually petted a kitten and held her and got over my phobia. With that said, I still do not try to pet a stray cat. I am not jumpy anymore when they brush past me.

I live in an apartment complex and my apartment is located at the entrance level. My windowsill is about 6 feet high. Up until last week, I have never seen a cat jumping up there and look inside. Well, last week a youngish cat jumped as I was watching TV and meowed her/his heart out. I had a can of tuna so, I put it on the windowsill and she/he gobbled it up. The next time it showed up, I gave it some lunch meat. I then bought a bag of dry cat food and poured some on the corner of the windowsill. It showed up again but, decided that cat food is no good and kept meowing. I caved in and gave it some more lunch meat.

A few days later, another one jumped up. This one is a black and white cat. He eats the cat food and always comes back to check to see if there is any more. I think, they are friends although they never show up together.

Today the first cat showed up, ate some of the cat food and came back looking at me so, I gave it a big piece of turkey ham. Then the other one showed up and ate the leftover cat food. This time I felt guilty and fed it some turkey ham too. I do not dare to open the window all the way and pet them but, I think I will keep feeding them as long as they come to visit. There are two cat houses at different locations so, I am sure they can get to food and water all the time. 

A lot of people tell me to get a cat but, I do not think I will ever be a true cat person. Although I am not deadly afraid, I am not ready to be chums with one. 

4 comments:

  1. You sound like me with the stray/wild cat I have been feeding the past few week. But, he hasn't come back for about 4-5 nights now, so I'm guessing he's gone for good. But, I do love cats. My grandma had a fear of cats, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe how picky eaters they can be. And the guilt I have. Lol! Actually smoked turkey ham cannot be good for them.

      Delete
  2. I do not like cats and would never feed one in case it decided it wanted to become my cat

    ReplyDelete