About Me

Friday, September 25, 2020

Ouch!

 I took my car to the service today. It was a routine 45K km maintenance. Apparently, it is one of the expensive maintenance steps or so they say. Anyway, the damage is done. I had budgeted half the amount based on previous maintenance jobs. My car has a diesel engine. That's another factor for the expensive maintenance.

Then I went to get my meds from my pharmacy. Some of my regular meds are provided by Social Security at no cost to me. However, I bought additional meds and vitamins to last at least for two months. That was pretty expensive too. Next time I go see my doctor, I will try to get a medical report for some of the others so that, I will not have to pay as much.

I was planning to go and buy some fresh fish but, I stumbled upon a very good price for a roaster chicken and some turkey wings. So, I grabbed them. A roaster gives me lots of meals. 

I spoke to my sister today. She told me they found a new caregiver for my BIL's mom and will be going to Ankara this weekend again. The old one will be leaving by the end of October. The new one is a bit younger and had been an excellent caregiver for one of my sister's friend's grandma who passed a couple of months ago. Both ladies are from Georgia (the country). During October both will be together so that the old caregiver can train the new one. BIL's mom is bedridden and she cannot talk. It is so sad. I do not think she has much time left because last time I saw her, she was super skinny and although she ate well, she cannot gain weight. I had even bought some liquid food supplements but, they did not help at all.

The old one has decided to go to Germany for work and we are surprised. Due to COVID-19, this cannot be easy. We suspect somebody is scamming her. However, she has been very persistent. She has told my SIS and BIL that she will be going to Germany with a Greek passport! What!? How? This cannot be legal. She said she had already spent 4500 Euros. Well, that is a lot of money for someone who has to go abroad to work. If the German police finds out what she is up to, she will be in a lot of trouble. My sister warned her about this but, hey, she is an adult, right? You cannot help someone who does not want to be helped. 

All these years, she was legally here. My BIL did everything by the book and spent tons of money on insurance and work permits. Most people take shortcuts but, as a family, we will never resort to illegal business.



1 comment:

  1. Yikes about the car.
    I am glad your sister and BIL found a replacement sitter. I know form my experience with Mom's that good sitters are hard to find and worth every penny you have to pay

    ReplyDelete