About Me

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Staying Home

I consider the people who have houses with a yard are lucky during this pandemic. Apartment dwellers like I am are not so much. Although, I can spend time all by myself perfectly, I sometimes long for going out just to window shop or walk at the waterfront. I can do these things but then I must wear a mask, keep my sanitizer on hand, constantly be alarmed to keep social distance from other people. It is exhausting. 

If I had a little yard, I could grow veggies and flowers and sit outside in the sun. Or so I think. Lol! Given human nature who knows what I would want then?

Long time readers know that I am a landlady of a two bedroom apartment in Ankara. Few days ago, management sent a notice that there were 3 COVID-19 cases and everybody should wear masks in teh buildings and in the garden. There are 7 buildings and a large garden in that apartment complex with basketball courts and play areas for kids. Today, the management sent another notice with big bold uppercase letters that, the security guards will report everybody without masks to the police. All over my country, masks are mandatory for everyone. There is a hefty monetary penalty too but, not a lot of people care and not all can be penalized. I am sure some people will take this as a threat to their rights and start talking about the legality of this but, the fact of the matter is, COVID-19 is now their neighbor. Hope, my tenants are taking precautions and keeping safe and healthy.

On another note, I found out that I ordered spare heads for my electric toothbrush twice. Not a bad mistake. I will use them but certainly, I am not as organized as I like to be.

My grocery order will be delivered in a couple of hours and I will walk to the Pharmacy afterwards to pick up my meds. My pill boxes need filling. 

I really would like to go out to the seashore to the fish market and buy some fresh fish but I am too lazy to do it today. Tomorrow, I will be taking my car to the service so, on the way back, I can go get my fish. Bonitos are in season and I love to cook slices of bonito over a bed of sauteed onions and tomatoes on stove top or in the oven. 


6 comments:

  1. I thank you for your comment about a yard. I have been feeling trapped and should not because I have green space all around my house, I can go out in the yard any time I choose , watch birds, squirrels and chipmunks, or just sit outside with a cup of coffee. I needed this swift kick in the backside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your yard as much as possible before winter gets there! I guess not being able to do the things we always did is getting to us all.

      Delete
  2. I have a small back garden but am lucky enough to back onto a farm so it feels like I have all this open space available to me. And I was most definitely grateful for it during lockdown. I don't know how people in apartments - particularly those with young children - coped. Over here we have to wear masks when we go inside public buildings but not outside thankfully! But like most people I'm ready for this pandemic to be over too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I spent a good deal of time waiting for my car outside. At one point I walked down to the post office and back. Had to change three masks because it was a warm day and my face sweated. I can't wait to go back to normal too.

      Delete
  3. I find going out to public places tiring too, now. Like you said, masks, sanitizer, distance. It's all getting really old. At least at home I have lots of space inside and out and our town itself doesn't require masks, so that is ok when I go to the stores there, though I do try to social distance and use sanitizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand you live in a low risk area. Here in Istanbul, even if it weren't mandatory, I would wear a mask. New cases are on the rise.

      Delete