About Me

Monday, October 5, 2020

Getting Ready

Today is an extremely busy day. I checked my fridge and found about 2 pounds of carrots, a celery stalk and about 6-7 pounds of onions. Yikes! I normally put food in my cooler and take it wherever I am going but, this time I decided to process this stuff and freeze for winter. When I was coming back from Cesme, I had bought wonderful big white onions and forgot to delete the onions in my online grocery order. That is why I ended up with so much.

I love Italian Soffrito or Holy Trinity in my pasta sauces. So, I took the processor out, chopped a giant onion with the celery and carrots and then sauteed them in EVOO. That was pretty easy and painless as compared to the rest of the onions. Oh my! I cried my eyes out while processing the onions and even my giant wok could not handle all of it at once. I sauteed them in two batches and now they are cooling down. They will be put in ziplock bags before going to the freezer.

I am having a coffee break as I am typing this. I will pack my suitcase after this break. Once that is ready, I will change the sheets on my bed and dye my hair.

So, gotta go now. 



4 comments:

  1. that was smart to take the time to prepare and freeze up the extras. I'll bet it all smelled good while sauteeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did smell really good... for a while anyway:)

      Delete
  2. You are a person after my own heart. I can't stand to waste anything - I would have done the same with the onions. It also is a boon when you go to cook and are out of onions and there they are all ready to go and sauteed in the freezer. I do that also with long-left vegetables and then have ready makings for a quick soup down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I can never replicate some of the soups I make with leftover meat and veggies. Lol!

      Delete